ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Two Art Projects

Two Art Projects

I'm part of a digital painting class and as an assignment we have to paint an image scanned out of some kind of coloring book (that's why these images may seem a bit too cluttered). I'm doing most of the learning on my own, so any tips or constructive criticisms would be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kisler_seascape_final.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	290.8 KB 
ID:	41455   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kisler_savannah.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	304.6 KB 
ID:	41456  

I think they are both perfect Voltan.
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Coloring Book Images

I like the bright colors. I don't like the white foam it looks like white paint. The blacks are too black. Maybe it needs a black line around the animals. I don't like the thin white lines on the birds. I realize I am not to comment on the composition. I prefer myself the effect of rotary brush marks in oil paint. I like the effect of smearing colors into each other with the palette knife. I also like airbrush softness. I would suggest you experiment with softer edges, or hard edges with a black line like a coloring book. More blending of colors into each other would be nice. Good Luck and don't take my criticism to heart because I am not an expert!! Cheers and continue to enjoy painting as you obviously do!
    Michael

Both are interesting, but I think the second really works well! Good luck with your class and your continued enjoyment of ArtRage.
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

Heh, looks like someone got stuck with the same assignment as this user!

Overall I like both of them. I wouldn't say there are any major problems (besides the clutter, which you have already acknowledged) , just some things that could be improved on. For example, you've got some shading on the flamingos in the second picture, but both the giraffe and cheetah are completely flat. I like the flamingos and I also like how the foreground animals are done, but consistency is key in pieces like this. Plus, at first it was a little hard for me to tell that the clump in the middle of the picture was a giraffe due to the lack of shading; some additional shadows might help make the pose a little more clear.

Like M. J. said, the white foam on the first picture could use a little work. Try experimenting with the palette knife to see if you can get a more foamy effect. The water in the second picture looks fine, though. Oh, and back in the ocean scene, the shading (dirt?) on the rocks could stand to be a tad more subtle. You may want to adjust the flipper on the seal as well, but I guess I'm just gettin' nitpicky.

All in all, I'd say you did a good job! Just keep workin' hard at it and remember not to rush yourself!

Note: I am not a professional artist, nor do I claim to be.

No offense taken. Heh, this is a critique section after all. You all make valid points -

The first painting I didn't do much shading or blending. I used a lot of layers to separate paint. The second painting I used fewer layers and made greater use of the pallete knife. I think the second painting worked out better and looks more "painterly"

The foam in the first painting does look flat. I'll take a look at other artist's renderings of waves the next time I paint water. Perhaps if I had added in a darker blue with the flat white and blended it that would look better.

Now that it was pointed out, the giraffe and the cheetah aren't consistent with the coloring of the other animals. Perhaps if I added in streaks of red or orange into their coats they would fit better.

As a side note, our professor wants us to do an underpainting layer in to match all the color tones, but it seems like an unnecessary step since the colored layers cover over the underpainting anyway. What do you guys think?

I remember the first one from the last time! The corrected perspective did improve it.

As for the rest: an underpainting done in the same color scheme has a benefit of giving you a color environment to work in. If you try to paint colored things on a white page, then add a background to that, you'll likely miss with both. If you work out a background first, you can match the subjects to it, and it will be easy. It isn't about what covers what; it's about what colors end up next to what colors. What looks dark on a white background can appear bright on a black one, and it's hard to predict without actually putting them there.

Tthere is a possibility that your professor meant layering the picture into an opaque underpainting and a layer of transparent glazes over it. But that would be a better technique for a real medium like oils or acrylics; for digital, it is rather pointless except for making small corrections as an afterthought.

So I think your professor most likely meant that you should work out the whole painting's color and lighting scheme in the rough, then detail it. It's a standard practice: always go from general to detail, not the other way.

The problem with cheetah and giraffe not matching the color, I think, is simple: you have a sunset in the background, so they both should be backlit. You show them as if lit from the front with a white light, and the environment shows a setting sun on the opposite side. Make them mostly in shadow, with a bright rim - you know how a backlit object looks like.

Dear Voltan, Hello!!! i like both of them!! the sea one is a good samplerand the Africa one has very efective colors and mood, being a 'Senior' i haven't escaped from the coloring book faze yet so if you enjoy your art and have a good teacher you will be fine. keep painting!