ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: gradients

gradients

Hi, Im just new to using Artrage....as in photoshop, can you fill a selected area with a colour gradient?

Hi Loveartnz!

ArtRage doesn't have a gradient fill tool, but you could use a gradient stencil in conjuction with the fill tool to acheive a gradient fill.

For example:

-Select an area
    -Open the Stencils Panel
    -Go to the 'Gradients' category and click on 'Linear' to add a linear gradient stencil to your canvas
    -Select the Transform tool ( 4-way arrow in the tool picker next to the selection tool ) which you can use to move, scale and rotate the gradient stencil.
    -Select the fill tool and click within the selected area.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

getting there

Ok, thanks for that, I can get the linear stencil to make a gradient, but now how do you delete the original stencil template? Can't seem to delete it? Thanks for your help.

To remove a stencil: Right click the stencil, select 'Remove this stencil'.

You can also see all the active stencils in your painting by opening the Stencils panel, clicking on the 'Active' category. Each stencil can be manipulated from here ( hidden, shown, removed and so on ).

You can find more in depth information on working with Stencils on page 83 - 86 of the ArtRage Manual ( Help -> ArtRage Help ) 'Stencils'. This covers how stencils work, how they can be used and also the various options available.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

gradient fill

Hi, I'm back again. I managed to succeed with the gradient last time I tried. However, I only had the trial program from the internet. I now have the 2.5 version. Trouble is, I can't remember how I 'filled' the gradient. You say choose the 'fill' tool. I've been looking for a paint bucket type tool, but unsuccessfully Do newer versions have this option, or is there something I'm missing?

Hi again. ArtRage 2.5 doesn't have a fill tool, selections or the transform tool. We added these more digital utilities to ArtRage Studio and Studio Pro. You may have originally had the ArtRage Studio Pro demo when you posted initially. If you intended to get a different version or want help with that, please feel free to email me at support@artrage.com and I can help you with upgrading and advice, no problem at all. You can see a list of features of the various versions on our features page here- http://www.artrage.com/artragefeatures.html
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Thanks Dave, Thought that may have been the case. The classroom I am using it in is only loaded with 2.5 and don't think they will upgrade soon so I will have to work out a different way to do the sky! Cheers.

I may be missing something but... couldn't you just paint on the stencil?
    Cat Boxes, a web comic

That's definitely a possibility if you don't absolutely require a fill tool and selection tool.

You could use the linear gradient stencil in ArtRage 2.5 ( Stencils -> Select the Gradients Category ) and use another tool over the top of it to paint in the area. Stencils can be scaled on the canvas by selecting the zoom tool ( magnifying glass down the bottom ) and clicking and dragging on the stencil.

Here's an example of how you could fill an area without a selection tool and a fill tool, using ArtRage 2.5's stencils.

Selecting an area to be 'filled':

1/ Paint a circle on your canvas. Let's say you want to fill that circle with a gradient
    2/ Right click the layer in the layer panel which has the painted circle on it and choose to make a stencil from this layer. You'll see a stencil appear around your drawing.
    3/ Right click the stencil and choose 'invert stencil'. Now the stencil covers just your painted circle, so you've masked off this area.

'Filling' the area:

1/ Open your stencils panel. Select the Gradients category, then click on the 'Linear' gradient stencil to place it on the canvas.
    2/ Right click - drag the gradient stencil to where you want the gradient. You can use the zoom, pan and rotate tools at the bottom of the screen in conjunction with the stencil to rotate it, scale it and move it where you want.
    3/ Now you have an area masked off with a gradient stencil over the contents. Choose a tool like the airbrush or paint roller and paint over the area within the circle. You can use the hide / show option in the stencils panel for the 'Active' category to hide your stencils and check how it looks. The stencils can also be removed by right clicking them when you're done.

So what you're doing here is basically masking off an area you want to fill with colour, placing a gradient stencil down, then using one of the paint tools to add the colour. The air brush doesn't add texture which may make it a good option if you want a smooth look.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design