ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Image quality

Image quality

Hey folks, just curious as to what file extension you save your paintings as? I use tiff, and then convert to jpeg. But it seems to me that the colors still don't pop.

Would .png be any better?
    +I only see the good qualities in people. Not being faultless myself, I won't probe into the faults of others+

Hi mate if you are using Windows there is I think an export to jpeg issue that the boys are sorting out.

PNGs are the best quality but a large file size, I export to PNG and convert in The Gimp to jpeg but I still lose a little quality.

Thank-you, I think I'll give that a try on my next image. Believe I'll start uploading to the gallery here too, to save the trouble of uploading to Photobucket.

Cheers!
    +I only see the good qualities in people. Not being faultless myself, I won't probe into the faults of others+

pop?

What do you mean with 'pop' ?

Do you use jpg2000 or normal jpg?

Normally tif and png are lossless formats, while normale jpg is not. Only jpg2000 supports lossless compression and content and higher color depth.

Tif supports mulitdocument, multilayer, alpha channel, color spaces and several Photoshop attributs.

Png supports 48bit up to color depth, alpha channel, color spaces, but not as
    much PS realted stuff as tif. And when I remember right not all sorts of file comments.

A lzw packed tif has a simular size, as a png. It is funny that lzw packed tif do not support file comments eighter.

Normally an image saved as tif or png files should be exaxtly the same as long as the file format supports the proper bit depth.

I do not think ArtRage supports more color depth than tif and normal jpg can contain. So tif and png should provide a better quality than norma jpg
    and the same quality as jpg2000.

Rergards.
    Kunst muss nicht immer kompliziert sein!

Hi Narf, by "Pop" I meant that colors aren't as vibrant, and the contrast looks a bit different too, to me at least .

I export as a .tiff using Artrage, and then re-save as a normal JPG in Photoshop, using maximum quality.

Thank you for the info!

It sounds to me like your saved tifs are having their color space altered in some way. One thing that would cause the color shift is if you are somehow saving the tif as a CMYK color space and converting from RGB. I don't know if AR gives any choices on this on the save out to tif, but if you are noticing the shift when you open in another program like photoshop its possible that photoshop is converting the tif from rgb to cmyk in some manner.

Can you post a screen capture of a unpopping vs. popping version of the same image side by side so we can see for ourselves?

Al

Sure can, gimme just a few minutes.

Here ya go.

Screen shot of the .tiff in Artrage (Before export)

.tiff exported from Artrage.

I guess a more reasonable way for me to upload them would be to do so from this site as a PNG. Just gotta figure what to do about the size...

Looks like upload straight to the website is a better idea, this is a PNG-24. Looks good, and just 2kb below the upload limit
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sunsetfinalQ.png 
Views:	67 
Size:	483.7 KB 
ID:	41448  

Hmm... I cannot replicate this as an export to tif out of AR3. The image looks the same as the original. Even if I take your rgb original into Photoshop and save it as a CMYK tif, it does not shift the colors (this example does not contain some of the Blue purples and magentas that tend to get kicked the most obviously in an RGB to cmyk conversion)

What are you using to convert the outputted files to jpg?