ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Hate Watercolours

I Hate Watercolours

Arrrgghhh!!! My life is gone... The dog is staring at his empty food bowl... The call of nature has become an insistent shout... I have developed a Wacom hunch.... My eyes are like poached eggs....

Why?

Because I can't get my head around the watercolours!!!!!

Well ok the sky isn't too bad..... Sob!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	castle lake.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	399.9 KB 
ID:	41440  

Just take a deep breath and hang in there. The sky is definitely promising. Remember Milton´s adage: "All things come to he who waits"--and practices with the paint tools incessantly.
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

Fraser,

The saying comes to mind, "If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again." The sky is great, and what I can tell from the landscape, it's not bad for a beginner at watercolor, so don't give up and keep practicing!
    Lolalot's here! Everyone can party now!

You're onto something F-P!

Just tell your pooch as he slinks into the whimpering corner of neglect that you are fresh on the scent of a fox. . . Sound the horns, release the hounds and tally ho! RISE UP FAITHFUL HOUND!

And put some kibble in the bowl of your canine companion or he may bury your stylus in the back yard, a bone to gnaw on when things get tight.

He was doubtless happier when you were doing nature walks and photography.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

This looks great to me! Light-years from where I am with it. I am finding out that what needs to be done is;

Step 1. Everything I know about color -- Throw away!
    Step 2. Everything I know about value -- Throw away!
    Step 3. Everything I know on painting perspective -- Throw away!

I'm on step 4 now and that is where I'm stuck! Urgggh!
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    Eckhart Tolle

Reminds me of a warm, humid, summer morning with a slight breeze before a afternoon storm. Very nice!!
    +I only see the good qualities in people. Not being faultless myself, I won't probe into the faults of others+

Quote Originally Posted by Sketchism71 View Post
    This looks great to me! Light-years from where I am with it. I am finding out that what needs to be done is;

Step 1. Everything I know about color -- Throw away!
    Step 2. Everything I know about value -- Throw away!
    Step 3. Everything I know on painting perspective -- Throw away!

I'm on step 4 now and that is where I'm stuck! Urgggh!
    Sketch, I believe step 4 is crying like a baby over spilled bathwater that you threw out. . . [scratching head] or something like that.

Even in the real world, watercolor is an odd duck especially when we're used to painting opaquely.

My sympathies gentlemen. I feel your pain.

As I recall a key is to not work it overmuch. It's not like opaque in that way where you can paint over things and work it up a lot. The good news is we have layers (so you can in a transparent way) and use undo.

Something that defies spontaneity that many of you do already with photographs that you give different colors to is to paint a bunch of watercolor washes (with black ink or watercolor) in the real world and scan them in and import them into ArtRage and use them for their drying patterns and assign them new colors. Seems like a round about way, but I could see that working for some things like skies, so long as it matches the rest of what you're getting in AR.
    Last edited by D Akey; 02-10-2010 at 10:37 AM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

You're not going bad at all, dear F-P!
    Anyway I hope I may communicate some useful experience to avoid possible real frustrations.

General hint. It's easy to deal with watercolours if You think to and behave with them as they were a very charming lady. (I guess You're quite good at that).

I mean:
    - listen to, understand and follow them with intuition rather than planning
    - love them and the fact that You won't really never control them; You can only set them free, spontaneous, joyful and see where they would then like to take You
    - drive them with few lovely touches through all the promises and happy accident towards their natural and agreable end
    - do not insist to fix parts of the picture, just keep an overall great vision You may share and cooperate on
    - give them all Your care to let them express their potentials and talents

More specifically and technically:
    1. draw areas You would then paint wet-on-wet;
    2. use progressively less thinned (and very low thinned) strokes (no dry), testing both wet and dry paper, maybe by selecting/ masking with the wizard wand.
    3. try also wet-on dry thinned as appropriate, on wet paper if You don't like pigment on the boundaries
    4. erase parts where You cannot add effectively new strokes to change colour more evidently or to darken them (if on the same layer)
    Finally, let me know if any of my suggestion was new and/ or useful ....
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Wowww..Caesar, so lovingly said, you are an expert i think in both but first in watercolor hehehe... and then the ladies..... poor Fraser, i think he will be able to decipher theese myesteries pretty soon... i am still giggling...as i am writing...

Fraser, that's not bad at all... but everything wants a patiency... but go for it you will be rewarded at the end as Caesar so expertly explained...

Dearest Caesar.... I will follow you advice to the letter and put away the handcuffs and whip...

I see the sense in what you say and will light the scented candles, play some soft music, open a bottle of wine.... now where did I put that feather?

Dear AT-TA please look the other way for a while but beware of my new found skills should they arise!