ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: New Computer?

New Computer?

I was thinking of picking up a used Mac and need some advice. I have been looking on Craigslist but I am not sure what I am looking for. So for any of you Mac users any input on what I would need to run Artrage please let me know.

Shawn

It depends on how and where you work and if you are using 2 monitors or not.

If you need 2 monitors -> no Mac mini

I know two guys who bought a 27" iMac recently and both have problems with flickering displays from time to time. Apple provided a software update to fix it, but it did not really work - so new large iMacs maybe have a hardware problem.
    A friend of mine had a 24" iMac and it died exactly 1 day after the warranty ended. The machine was 2 time gone for repairs anyway, in the time of warranty.

In new MacBooks(Pro) you can't remove the battery anymore. When you are using it when the Book is on a power line it uses the battery as energie buffer so Apple can save some money by using a smaller power supply.
    The battery dies earlier this way and you can never be sure that it is really full charged when you leave home.

Imho the only recommendable Mac is the Mac Pro atm, but it is very expensive and the recent dual quad models consume the energy of a little nuclear power plant because of the Xeon processors.

So my next Mac will be a Hackintosh.
    There are some hacks to let MacOS run on some PC hardware with simular specs than Mac Pro. It lets me more choise to get a less power consuming hardware than Mac Pro. I do not need 2 CPUS and I do not need Xeons. Some less consuming quad core CPU is much enough for me. I will maybe take a Gigabyte board that supports 16GB Ram. Ram is more important for me than CPU power, because I work on large scale prints and swapping costs the most time.

For Hackintosh you need a supported selection of PC hardware (lists are in the internet), the Hackintosh software and a OSX DVD that you can buy seperat at every Mac dealer. Installing MacOS on a PC is only an EULA violation in the US, but not in the rest of the world, because such thing as
    EULA is not law conform in all other parts of the world.

It is a pitty that Apple does not provide Macs with the power of an iMac in a normal tower where you can put in some additional hardware as cardreader or backup HD, etc. and where you can use 2 monitors of your own choise.

2 of my friends are running Hackintosh for over 2 years now and are very happy with it, especially because they earn not enough money for buying a real Mac Pro and can not pay for its power consumption.
    Kunst muss nicht immer kompliziert sein!

Can you purchase the Mac os from Apple if you do not own an Apple computer?

Cheers

Ken

I would be careful when buying a PC/MAC from Craigslist. Never know just why its up there to begin with.

Goodluck!
    +I only see the good qualities in people. Not being faultless myself, I won't probe into the faults of others+

I have not used a apple computer since 80-81 when I was in school, so I wanted to get something basic to mess with. I am not sure if I will like using it.

@kenmo

Of course you can buy a copy of MacOS in a store. After all, there are a lot of Mac users which want to upgrade to newer OS versions. Indeed are the seperate sold copies the only version that you can install on any Mac model while the OS version that come with a special model can only be used on this type of Mac.

@GenghisShawn

OSX is completly different from the classic MacOS and do not forget you need to buy Mac versions of all your software, unless you want to install Windows too.
    There are ways to use Windows Software on a Mac too. To make use of the most hardware features you need a 64bit Windows. Old XP does not make sense unless you do only want to run small software that does not need much resorces.
    As far as I know you can install the Mac like this:

- only MacOS

- only Vista or Windows 7

- MacOS and Vista or W7 with a Bootmanager called Bootcamp what is provided with the MacOS

- use Parallels (a thirdparty software that costs money).
    With Parallels you can install a Windows on the Mac and the Windows software runs in
    separat windows on the Mac desktop. You do not see anything of Windows at all.
    I did not follow the recent developments, but a while ago Parallels could only use 2GB of the Mac ram for the Windows software.
    Well, a lot of older Windows software - as they are not 64bit versions - can only address 2 GB of ram anyway.
    So If you want to buy a new computer and make use of all its power you will have to do a lot of software upgrades anyway.

I know it all sounds a little bit confusing

The hard- and software upgrade strategy depends on the software you want to use - on their resource hunger and their price. Sometimes the Mac software is much more expensive than the Windows version.

I would recommend you to make a large list first and check how much resources every software needs, if Mac equivalents exist, how much they cost and if it makes more sense to make crossupdates or to run a 'emulation' or sometimes boot MacOS or Windows.

A system switch is not so easy and it is quite expensive.

Regards.
    Kunst muss nicht immer kompliziert sein!

Quote Originally Posted by narf View Post
    @kenmo

Of course you can buy a copy of MacOS in a store. After all, there are a lot of Mac users which want to upgrade to newer OS versions. Indeed are the seperate sold copies the only version that you can install on any Mac model while the OS version that come with a special model can only be used on this type of Mac.

@GenghisShawn

OSX is completly different from the classic MacOS and do not forget you need to buy Mac versions of all your software, unless you want to install Windows too.
    There are ways to use Windows Software on a Mac too. To make use of the most hardware features you need a 64bit Windows. Old XP does not make sense unless you do only want to run small software that does not need much resorces.
    As far as I know you can install the Mac like this:

- only MacOS

- only Vista or Windows 7

- MacOS and Vista or W7 with a Bootmanager called Bootcamp what is provided with the MacOS

- use Parallels (a thirdparty software that costs money).
    With Parallels you can install a Windows on the Mac and the Windows software runs in
    separat windows on the Mac desktop. You do not see anything of Windows at all.
    I did not follow the recent developments, but a while ago Parallels could only use 2GB of the Mac ram for the Windows software.
    Well, a lot of older Windows software - as they are not 64bit versions - can only address 2 GB of ram anyway.
    So If you want to buy a new computer and make use of all its power you will have to do a lot of software upgrades anyway.

I know it all sounds a little bit confusing

The hard- and software upgrade strategy depends on the software you want to use - on their resource hunger and their price. Sometimes the Mac software is much more expensive than the Windows version.

I would recommend you to make a large list first and check how much resources every software needs, if Mac equivalents exist, how much they cost and if it makes more sense to make crossupdates or to run a 'emulation' or sometimes boot MacOS or Windows.

A system switch is not so easy and it is quite expensive.

Regards.
    Wow Thanks for all that info! I will only be running artrage on it and thats all

Shawn

How much do you want to spend? Max?
    I think a mini mac would do you pretty well. Comes with Snow Leopard OS.
    599.00 start price with 2 gb memory and 160 gb hd. 2.26 ghz intel processor.
    comes with I life. which includes imovie, garage band for making music,
    and idvd. it has a decent nvidia graphics card it would run artrage beautifully.

If you want to go cheaper don't go back any further than a G5 if you want artrage to run smoothly.
    Last edited by screenpainter; 02-11-2010 at 01:44 AM.