ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your First Digital Art

Your First Digital Art

I posted my first digital painting seen here in the Gallery section and some people agreed that starting a "First Digital Art" thread might be fun. Part of the intrigue for me is what software/hardware you were using. ArtRage and a few other modern painting programs are light years ahead of some of the tools from the recent past and seeing how far we've come in both tools and skills would be great.

My submission was done in 1995 using an ACECAD plotter and Fauve Matisse software. The ACECAD was 12 x 12 inches, used a serial port had no pressure sensitivity, with a pen that was attached to the board with a cable. Drivers were loaded in DOS and it was an IRQ nightmare to keep it from stepping on the sound or graphics card memory space. At the time it was one of my coolest pieces of hardware.

What blasts from the past can you post? It doesn't have to be the VERY first thing, but something indicative of your earliest explorations.

Al
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My first digital works are archived on tape and syquest 40meg cartridges and i no longer have access to caveman hardware for those
    They were produced in Aldus Freehand (which was the vector king at the time before adobe had produced a pc version of illustrator), Illustrator 3 (mac only) photoshop 2.1, stratavision 3d (think it was studio pro) macromind director (before macromind became macromedia) and layouts in quarkxpress 3.11 produced on macintosh LC's and quadras (dream computer for graphics at the time) 18 years ago lol
    Last edited by Juz; 02-09-2010 at 08:50 PM.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Can't wait to get the floppy drive connected and upload my disney graphic-lol. Great idea Al!

I'll spare everyone from my horrendous Microsoft Paint images

This was (I think) my first digital image, not counting the ones from Microsoft Paint of course. I've been using Adobe Photoshop since I was 8-9 so I believe this was around that time. Edges are cut since I rotated the image.

I would always open Adobe every morning after breakfast, spend about half an hour mixing and applying filters to this and that and then seeing what came out of it.

I see a skyscape, with floating pathways and hanging moss.

+I only see the good qualities in people. Not being faultless myself, I won't probe into the faults of others+

Smile I remember my first MSpaint drawing

Well, I remember my first MSpaint drawing, but it was actually my brother Matthew teaching me how to use MSpaint by example. I remember when my brother David told me about ArtRage, I never thanked him though But when I get AR3 I might let him use it. Anyway, here's something I just drew for the wallace-and-gromit website. It's Gromit in my style!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GromitIMSJPEG.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	214.7 KB 
ID:	41697  
    www.ponybelle.deviantart.com

Visit my DeviantART account for more! And don't forget to go to the dA group DArtRage!

My first DIGITAL Art..

This is a character based on a guy I worked with at IBM... His last name was Simpson (and of course we called him Bart) He was definitely a mild mannered sort and we felt he needed an alter ego... This was all for fun... I did this one with a scanned pencil drawing and inked it with ms paint and a mouse... Looking back... I tell ya I love my tablet now!!

this was my first digital artwork. i did minor stuff with mouse, but nothing of this caliber and mostly anime collage/wallpaper work because i couldn't get the mouse to move like the pencil and it bugged me. so most of my artwork is on my walls.

glade was done in photoshop and was sparked from a recurring dream. i started it on canvas, but never finished the canvas version.

i got my wacom tablet for christmas and started this, worked on it for a month or so. now that i got ar3 i may revisit it after i finish my castle

(apologies for the lack of grammar and capitalizaiton. i had hand surgery a week ago and typing is somewhat difficult still and can only do so much before it aches. it's easier not to shift. )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glade4.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	284.0 KB 
ID:	42903  

This was my first one:
    Sharon de Adel, leadsinger of within temptation:

My first digital art was a Terragen render and now in hindsight I realize it was quite boring....

I was looking through an old backup cd today and came across this -- my first photo composite -- done in 1995 (Old enough that it was saved as a BMP -- not a JPG)