ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Floating Menus Appear Offscreen

Floating Menus Appear Offscreen

Hi, I just downloaded ArtRage Studio on my Macbook Pro.

I haven't tried using my tablet yet, I just started playing around with my trackpad, and when I click on the settings pod, and especially the layers pod, the panel opens in a different spot each time, usually off-screen. I can see it at the edge of my screen, but I can't click on the gray bar at the top to move it, because I can't get to it. The only way to fix it is to restart it.

Is there a way I can either stop this from happening, or change floating panels to panels fixed on the side where they open?

Could you let us know which version of OS X you are currently using on your Macbook Pro?
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

I have the same (I think) problem on my MacBook Pro.

operating system - Mac OSX 10.4.11 It's one of the earlier MacBooks with the intel chip, so only 1.5 gb memory. Display resolution - 1440 X 900

If I remember to restore the layers panels to the default pod and location (not opened) before I close artrage, it puts everything in the right place when I restart artrage, but of course the layers panel is not opened. Opening the layers panel then, makes it accessible, but not necessarily from the same location each time. If I leave the layers panel open when I close artrage, it usually appears in the upper left hand corner when you open artrage, where it is hard to grab to use, but if you take a few tries you can usually grab it and put it in a better place.

I didn't check before I posted, but I seem to recall the colour and tools panels have a similar problem if you "tear off" and move from the default location. I can check that if you need or want to know.

I've included a screen shot of the problem
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	artrage_mac.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	171.0 KB 
ID:	41344  
    I don't have digital... I don't have diddly squat
    It's not having what you want... it's wanting what you've got

If you're using OS X 10.4 and getting this sort of behavior, we should have this fixed for our upcoming 3.0.6 release. Thank you for the details!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Yes, thank you, I'm using 10.4.11 also, and that screenshot is exactly what mine looks like most of the time.

Could I verify with both of you that you are using the latest version of ArtRage? ( 3.0.6 ). If not, please download and install the latest version from the Member Area ( http://members.artrage.com ) then let us know whether you still have the same problem.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

I have the new version of ArtRage, and most of the problem is gone.

The panels are always accessible, not halfway in the upper corner. On my windows version, the panels remember where they were, so the next time I open the program, or open a pod, they appear in the same spot. On the mac, they seem to pop up in a pre-determined place each time I open the program.

I'm not using the mac right now, but I think it remembers where I placed the panels while I open and close them during an ArtRage session. It's just the initial placement when I open ArtRage (If that makes sense)

It's no big deal now, because I can move it to where I want it, I just have to do it every time I start ArtRage. I feel a case of carpel tunnel coming on - hope you guys are well insured...

There's an oddity about the way 10.4 is creating the windows used by the panels: They are sometimes created at what appear to be completely random sizes so even though the contents look correct, the actual window is projecting off in to the aether somewhere. This means that the positioning system that ensures the panels appear on the screen was getting confused prior to 3.0.6. Now however, the system should at least guarantee that the panels are accessible.

Our 10.4 machine here is actually working correctly so I'm not sure why there are differences. Could you let us know which panels in particular are having this problem? We will continue to look in to it for future releases.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Hope this is what you were looking for, and that you can actually understand what I'm trying to say...

Layers panel: remembers it's location during a session, if I minimize it to a pod, and then expand again. On a new session, it appears at the "pre-determined location" I mentioned before. Doesn't matter if it was a panel or pod when I closed ArtRage.

Settings Panel: doesn't remember the location during a session or on a new session

Layers Panel: occasionally remembers it's location during a session, never remembers on a new session

References Panel: occasionally remembers it's location during a session, never remembers on a new session

Presets Panel: usually remembers it's location during a session, but never remembers on a new session

Samples Panel: occasionally remembers it's location during a session, never remembers on a new session

Color Picker: If I leave it as a pod, or "stick to default Edge" it always works correctly. If I "tear off edge" it remembers it's location during a session if I minimize to a pod, but does not remember between sessions where I had located it.

Tools Picker: WORKS RIGHT ALL OF THE TIME !!! The panel remembers it's position between sessions of ArtRage, and when I minimize and expand to and from pod during a session, if it is a pod, "stuck to default edge", or in "tear off" mode.

just an update on my previous post...

for some reason today, the MacBook Pro is acting slightly different than it was yesterday.

The panels/pods don't remember the locations I had moved them to at any time, always restores to the "default" locations. (new session or during session)

The color picker works the same way I mentioned before - good during a session, not between sessions.

ArtRage always restores the pods and/or panels to the state I had left them when I closed the program (as a panel or a pod, that is) but not the correct location

The Tools picker still works exactly the way it's supposed to, (or at least the way it does on my windows machine) - always in the same state and location I had left it during sessions and between sessions.