ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Groove & Vein brush

Groove & Vein brush

EDIT:
    Just uploaded the .prs file and deleted the .col, so just place it in the appropriate place
    Hiya,
    I guess I'm on a sticker trip..
    I got this idea from watching Uderzo's excellent Tron painting where he's used lines with shadows for making grooves on the buildings by using lines on different layers. I being short of patience lean towards instant gratification so I made a higlight/shadow brush.
    It's quite simple, highlight on top & shadow at the bottom. Then I realised if I tie the rotation to the stroke direction I can flip the orientation of the brush and get a nice shadow on top highlight at the bottom stroke.
    So here it is. It'll give you Hilittop-Shadobotom or viceversa depending on the direction of your stroke.
    It's great for putting grooves or scars in surfaces and popping out veins

Just to demonstrate I attach the image of Michaelangelo's David that someone mutilated using something similar

P.S. I don't see an option of attaching a .prs file here for the exact preset, so I've renamed my shadoline.prs to shadowline.col, please rename it and place it appropriately. Otherwise it may not behave this way (I suppose, but I am not too sure if the prs is required or not...)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scarred David.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	140.1 KB 
ID:	41153  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by flyashy; 02-11-2010 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Uploaded the .prs file
    The more hair I lose, the more head I get.

ohhh my genius
    great idea!
    //
    Stefano Fiore - Rome/Italy (Misterpaint)
    // Tablet Wacom Intuos 4 Medium- XP SP3
    // My Portfolio: http://www.stefanofiorearte.com
    // 3D Art Gallery for all artists (my web project) http://www.grifioartgallery.com

I'm a fan of 'the easy way' too flyman
    Fabulous brush. Would it be too much trouble to ask for a high rez one too ??

PS// Rather disconcerting to see Michelangelo's 'David' portrayed in such a neo-purtian fashion What happened to little David LOL
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Thanks so much Stefano, hope it's useful
    @ Juz,
    erm.. i've been making everything @300 dpi, This brush is 1"wX2" tall and so the file is 300pxX600px, I am not too sure how big it should be to be optimal as a brush, can you give me some idea so I can rework it, and also all my future brushes are printworthy?
    Also would you know if the prs file is necessory?

& lol, The miscreants had mutilated the statue so much I thought it wise to hide the maximum damage for those of genteel nature! haha!

I bet Ol Mike never thought of naming it Lil David..

LOL, good ol' Mike

oh, it is high res, good to know.. can never tell how much they will compress as png.. most of my 600x600 pixel @ 300dpi come out around 300k-500k or so (depends on how many shades in the brush) .png compresses flat shade really well but graduated colour not so well.

The presets file (.prs) is nice to include if you have set up the variations and stickerspray settings on behalf of people... means they don't have to play with those dialogs. If you want the brush to have an exact behaviour its probably a good idea to offer it.

I did ask Dave for the possibility of uploading .prs files in the beta, but he probably missed the thread in all the action there
    Last edited by Juz; 02-09-2010 at 07:53 PM.

The presets file (.prs) is nice to include if you have set up the variations and stickerspray settings on behalf of people... means they don't have to play with those dialogs. If you want the brush to have an exact behaviour its probably a good idea to offer it.

I did ask Dave for the possibility of uploading .prs files in the beta, but he probably missed the thread in all the action there
    Ah, I guessed as much...
    I hope we have the option to attach the .prs soon

.png compresses flat shade really well but graduated colour not so well.
    hmm...I noticed that while using the gradation stencil at very low values...
    So I guess the option would be to use a psd for such use?

The .png format strips away a lot of the extra image data that the .psd format retains, so it'll still result in a smaller file. Probably best to stick with .png.

thanks Juz.

Just noticed this! Totally brilliant Fly!
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    Eckhart Tolle

Ah, thanks sketch, I hope it comes of some use