ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Paper Color Gradient Ques

Paper Color Gradient Ques

Hi I am just starting to really get into my ArtRage2.5 Deluxe. My issue is I create a new paper, reg paper w/ no roughness only opacity, and I notice the color (when I put it on the paper) goes from light to dark on the page. It wont give me the same color throughout the entire pg. How can I fix this? I have looked everywhere and I know this software is not that complicated. Thanks!
    Michele

Welcome to the forums!

ArtRage has its own lighting to highlight things like bristle strokes and metallic effects. There is a light source at the top left of the page so there is a slight gradient the further away you get from that light.

If you're noticing a heavy gradient when you add paint, check that the 'metallic' slider beneath the colour picker is all the way to the left ( 0% ), as metallic effects rely heavily on lighting, so the effect is more noticeable.

Also, the lighting can be toggled off by pressing F5 on your keyboard. This will remove effects light bristle texture and metallics, but get rid of the lighting gradient entirely.

I hope that's of some help!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Is there any way to adjust the lighting gradient without completely turning it off in AR 3.5.4? I am trying to achieve a gold metallic effect but the gradient is too extreme. Upper left appears WAY lighter than bottom right. When I turn it off there is no metallic effect at all. Any tips on achieving a uniform gold foil/leaf look that prints well would be appreciated. I have not experimented too much with the gold foil background because it didn't look very realistic, but maybe there is some combo of brush/gradient/background that would work? Thanks for any input!

There isn't a way to adjust the lighting levels other than toggling lighting on or off. It may be worthwhile asking in the Tips and Tricks section of the forum to see if any other users have a painting technique for emulating metallic effects though.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design