Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: INDISPENSABLE SHORTCUTS

Gallery
    View images

INDISPENSABLE SHORTCUTS

I'd like to request a maybe VERY EASY TO IMPLEMENT feature but VITAL for me.

I often turn, scale, and move the paper because I have to draw VERY precisely. And your software has the BEST PENCIL RENDERING I've seen, and whereas I think I can afford to buy Artrage it lacks the indispensable shortcuts that I need to be able to draw effectively (without having to switch all the time between buttons on the canvas panel and the drawing tools etc...)

So I'd like to suggest these shortcuts (people who don't like shortcuts can simply ignore them so there's no harm to create them I think):

Note : of course, if these shortcuts were customizable that would absolutely rock!

1 - Having a key to reset the paper rotation, a key to reset the paper position and another key for the scaling... then another key for resetting all of these with one touch. (using the menu for that is a pain... I use to draw fast with a hand on the keybord and the other holding the pen so I'd like to make use of it)

2 - when keeping the CTRL button pressed the cursor becomes the paper position moving tool (and when releasing CTRL we get back to the drawing tool we were using) - think it as a TOGGLE key.

3 - When keeping the SHIFT button pressed the cursor becomes the rotating tool. Releasing it would get back to the drwing tool in use

4 - Keeping ALT pressed would toggle the scale tool

About the scale tool : there is something wonderful in photoshop : the ability to select a part of the screen to be scaled-fit to the screen. Nice for working details... and quicker than to use scale/position tools back and forth to get the layout wanted. The photoshop shortcuts are :

- keeping CTRL-SPACE pressed toggles the SCALE-IN tool. Click on the mouse (or point the pen) and you zoom.
    - CTRL-ALT-SPACE toggles the SCALE-OUT tool, point the pen for de-zoom.

But these are not the real interesting feature. Here we are :
    - while pressing CTRL-SPACE if you select a square area of the paper, you immediately get zoomed on the area selected. These shortcuts are used in a lot of software and besides they look complicated they are a breeze when used to.

5 - I'd like also a key to rapidly switch to the ERASER (since using the pen eraser is not so ergonomic)... what about SPACE? (As a default)

Note:
    This way we can draw with a hand always over CTRL ready to rotate or whatever, another advantage is that UNDO is CTRL-Z so you really don't have to move your hand for all the essential actions
    (nevertheless, the photoshop shortcuts are not very wrist-friendly I should say.... nice to have them as an option but better find better ones.... of course...)

blurb:
    Kudos for art rage... a soft that has the better pen rendering, a beautiful paper texture (really realistic I like very much), is a VERY SMALL software, has a GREAT design, is FAST (a requirement I think. Bye bye painter) and is CHEAP!!!! (OMG!!!!).
    Raaaah

Gallery
    View images
    Although there was a topic in the General Chat Forum about the same ideas, where I wrote down my opinion, I'm still don't know what Andy and the Rage team think about them.
    Anyway I love your suggestions! All words in them! Except that SPACE would be best as the move tool toggle (as in other apps).
    I think about ArtRage in a very similar way as you.

Gallery
    View images
    Sorry kynu and isd. I wasn't ignoring you.
    We're working on a patch at the moment which is due out very soon. When that's done, I'll get back to commenting on suggestions.

They're good suggestions - everything is noted, and everything is considered. If we decide it fits with the product, we schedule it either for one of the service releases, or if it's 'too big' it is scheduled for a later full release.

AndyRage.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    nice (^_^)

Gallery
    View images
    I'd like to add something about the rotating tool.

It seems that the present tool uses the center of the paper as the rotating center...
    It would be nice to have the rotating center where we click!
    Some softwares have a rotating center at the center of the screen and it's not really satisfying...
    Of course the best would be having the option to chose the center we prefer (paper, screen, or pointed place)

last but not least I would like to introduce my idea of the KILLER ROTATING FEATURE.

For example imagine you draw a human shape... then want to trace a curved line on the face

- choose or toggle the rotating tool
    - click on th face (I mean point with the pen on the face) the face becomes immediately the center of the screen. And while still pressing you slide up and down the pen (or left right) to rotate as you like

- then after you can zoom on the face after having selected it (with the fit-to-screen zoom feature I talked about).

So you can position the paper the way you want in only 2 manipulations

And since I'm doing paper manipulations a lot I'd like to be able to do that in ONE manipulation for a SUPER FAST PRECISE DRAWING EXPERIENCE!!!

Here is my ULTIMATE PROPOSITION :

the ONE MOVE ALL PAPER MANIPULATION TOOL :

When clicked on the screen (maintain pressure) :

- the area pointed becomes the center of the screen
    - with left and right you rotate,
    - with up and down you zoom

when you release the pressure you get back to the drawing tool you were using.

Imagine you use CTRL for toggling this COMBO TOOL and you pretty much don't have to use another key.
    Point and click is faster and more precise than any paper sliding tool etc...

Simple and powerful...

well until someone finds a flaw.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by isd
    well until someone finds a flaw.

I could easily imagine Einstein thinking the exact same words back in the day...

There are some really good suggestions here. I hope the Artrage team picks up a few. I'm not sure I would find a combo-zoom-rotate tool easy to use, but it could very well be. The rotation around pen position center sounds nice though.

... waiting impatiencely for update news...

Gallery
    View images
    why stop on a so good flow...?

Lets add another simple idea :

- the rotation by increments

I mean imagine you have 4 or 3 increments for a quarter circle (a 90 degrees rotation)... your rotation tool just jumps by 33.3 degrees steps... (considering a reasonable distance moved with the pen).
    It has the advantage of being clear and fast... It should be a very nice option I think if possible.

I saw that in another software, I think it is "RETAS! Stylos". Not a painting software but an all-digital drawing/animation software.

Well, it was just another two cents.

Gallery
    View images
    :? guys the rotation about going on 33.3 degree, sounds very much like autocad!!! and i hate autocad, cause i have to use it alot, artrage is a natural media (at least once you remove the digital idea of it ) so i believe its fine the way it is, and also check out the hot keys, the d will make it fit to screen, and it will just put it in the default view r=rotation, right click or m = move(pan).

best of luck!

Gallery
    View images
    okay abour the rotation tool, it should rotate around the cursor and not around the center of the screen, and wouldn't it be nice if the scroll wheel is zoom in and out? or is it used in the wacom airbrush pen? still zomming in and out with a scroll, would be a nice idea dont you think so guys?

Gallery
    View images
    guys the rotation about going on 33.3 degree, sounds very much like autocad!!! and i hate autocad, cause i have to use it alot
    I was submitting the idea as an option...
    I discovered that it is somewhat faster to use increments than to adjust with an "analog" feeling... and since it is an option let's set it to 1 degree increments by default so everything is for the better ^_^