ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stencils and transform tool

Stencils and transform tool

How do you use the transform tool on a stencil?

Thanks kindly...

Ken

Basically, you open a stencil, select the Transform tool and then click on the stencil. Then it's just a matter of dragging the corners of the transformation box. See the following thread for more information:

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=25065
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Hi SS,

If I may ask something while we're on this subject. Am I correct in saying that stencils can still only be transformed along the X and Y axis (not the Z axis)?

I had put up a suggestion when we still only had AR 2.5 for an option to transform stencils along the Z-axis. Not sure whether this has been implemented as yet.

Thanks,

Yvan.

Quote Originally Posted by yvan_c View Post
    Hi SS,

If I may ask something while we're on this subject. Am I correct in saying that stencils can still only be transformed along the X and Y axis (not the Z axis)?

I had put up a suggestion when we still only had AR 2.5 for an option to transform stencils along the Z-axis. Not sure whether this has been implemented as yet.

Thanks,

Yvan.

The Z axis? No, they don't implement anything like that. What kind of function were you looking for? Something like an extruded 3D text?
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    Something like an extruded 3D text?
    Hi SS,

Not necessarily "extrude", more like rotation and scaling along the z-axis. Currently (as I understand it) you can only transform/rotate a stencil left-right (x-axis) and up-down (y-axis) in AR (and of course clockwise and c/clockwise). I was wondering if it is possible to transform/rotate stencils in AR, also away from you "into" the canvass (z-axis).

I made a small *swf-file of a screen capture I did showing the different rotations you can do with stencils in ZBrush. I'm not sure how to upload it to this forum, but hopefully I'm as "clear as mud"

Anyway, thanks for your quick response.
    Last edited by yvan_c; 02-03-2010 at 02:18 AM.

But ZBrush is a 3D app (like Mudbox, 3DCoat or Lightwave). AR is a 2D app (like Photoshop, Painter)...

In a 2D app there is only the 2 axis, x & y unlike a 3D app where you have x, y & z.... Some 2D vector apps like Canvas or Illustrator do allow you to extrude along the z axis...

Quote Originally Posted by kenmo View Post
    Some 2D vector apps like Canvas or Illustrator do allow you to extrude along the z axis...
    Uhm... I think that was my point.

Anyway, as I said above, I am not specifically looking to "extrude" in a true 3D sense. I just would love an option to rotate a stencil 360 degrees in AR i.e. in all axis rotations, and maybe also to simultaneously adjust the height and breadth of a stencil on the right, left, top and bottom sides, independently of each other. For instance to create a perspective of depth. That would be cool, don't you think?

As for AR being a (mere) 2D app... With all the new bells and whistles included in the program, I beginning to doubt that statement. Maybe AR is developing more into a hybrid 2D/3D app. The term that comes to mind is "2.5D" (ala ZBrush).

in some (most? all? I use the gimp for a lot of things so I'm not sure what other programs) you can grab the individual corners of selections, masks, stencils (whatever you choose to call them) and change the shape to simulate a z-axis or perspective.

I don't use the stencils very often, but I could see where it could be useful to change the perspective, as well as the size and rotation. Here's a screen shot of the the pow zap blam stencil modified in the gimp using the method I mentioned above.

I suppose you could import the transformed stencil this way into artrage, but it would be time consuming to actually get your perspective "exactly" right.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    I don't have digital... I don't have diddly squat
    It's not having what you want... it's wanting what you've got

Quote Originally Posted by 337_lee View Post
    I suppose you could import the transformed stencil this way into artrage, but it would be time consuming to actually get your perspective "exactly" right.
    Indeed...

At the risk of repeating myself, wouldn't it be great if we could do what you for example have done by way of a workaround, on the fly in AR?!
    Last edited by yvan_c; 02-03-2010 at 06:07 AM.

Hi all,

I may have missed it but....... a stencil can be selected with the transform tool and then rotated 360 degrees. HOW? Easy, just put your curser on the boxs side (between the corners or centers) and a little circle arrow appears and you twist it around to your desired position... Ok, not anything else can be done but it does rotate the stencil 360 degrees flat.To twist in all axis rotations? NO. I guess this would be called an ANGLE. Hope it helps.....