Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Watercolour help please

By jove I think I have got it!

I think I have managed to get the effect I want by doing the following:|

Watercolour Dry stroke preset with about 50% thinners,
    Use the hard wet blending tool pallet knife.

This combination gives the effect of one colour blending into another.

Happy watercolouring,

Steve

I'm glad that you have found a technique that suits you best. I've also found one that is pretty cool too.

I don't think I would have experimented with this, if you hadn't have started this thread Steve

I now like to use delicate on dry watercolor, I tend to gravitate to this setting for some reason, I really like it, then put that on 90% thinners, then launch multiple layers (but 2 is fine) and then tiny frost for the blending the layers together, it seems to work pretty well.

Have fun!
    You can view all my other artwork here http://spookyjules.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks to both of you for sharing your methods
    I'm going to have to try that watercolor stuff too!

Cool Al, cant wait

Can I just say

I would just like to say a big thank you to everyone who has responded to this post. I am a member of a number of forums and this is by far the friendliest and the most active.
    Thanks Jules for your advice, as a novice to digital art I am looking forward to trying some of the techniques out and I promise to post my efforts. Nice to contact someone Oop North as well!
    I am expecting this to be a lot harder that using actual watercolour paints....and that is saying a lot!
    Thanks again and I look forward to more communication through these wonderful forums.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    I even experimented with the gloop tool with some interesting results.... here look http://bit.ly/b5UnsZ
    Jules: I saw this lovely painting a little while back and I wondered how you did it. Can you tell me your settings for "English wet on wet" as I don't seem to have that pre-set in my arsenal, so I assume it is one of your own. The painting is very effective and just what I like in a watercolour.
    TeresaW
    My Art blog can be found here and
    PaperTree's Images in the ArtRage Gallery can be found here.

Quote Originally Posted by PaperTree View Post
    Can you tell me your settings for "English wet on wet" as I don't seem to have that pre-set in my arsenal, so I assume it is one of your own.
    Whoops, responded before I read the entire thread again.
    TeresaW
    My Art blog can be found here and
    PaperTree's Images in the ArtRage Gallery can be found here.

Quote Originally Posted by PaperTree View Post
    Jules: I saw this lovely painting a little while back and I wondered how you did it. Can you tell me your settings for "English wet on wet" as I don't seem to have that pre-set in my arsenal, so I assume it is one of your own. The painting is very effective and just what I like in a watercolour.

Hi Papertree, Ive done a few doodles for you, this is based on the gloop setting I used for my Haworth painting (the one with the church and snow)

the arrows show the pen tilt direction ( I used a Wacom Intuos3) the gloop pen setting is a variation of the pseudo-water blob

As for the wet on wet effect, I just used the delicate on dry preset and blended the two together in the same layer.

Hope this helps hun
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenHunter_02 Feb. 03 00.48.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	233.7 KB 
ID:	41088  
    Last edited by Jules; 02-03-2010 at 02:59 PM.

Jules, thanks for the tips and inspiration.

I took your color combo and the tips in this thread and came up with this. Thanks. It worked pretty well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clouds of Color.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	41349  

Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    OK, ive been faffing... Ive attached a screenshot, I used the the delicate on dry preset, each individual color on a separate layer, then overlapped the colours and blended them with the just water brush.. I like the desired wet on wet effect...hope its something you resemble as wet on wet?
    Hi, this looks great but when you say 'then overlapped the colours' I'm not sure what you mean and I'm struggling to duplicate this. Could you elaborate a little please? Thanks