ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Pencil, Illustrator and ArtRage; opinions wanted

Pencil, Illustrator and ArtRage; opinions wanted

Playing around with a new tool and an new feel, and I'm not sure how successful it is, so opinions are very welcome!

Very much a work-in-progress I guess.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jw_FeralKitty_p01_col.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	356.8 KB 
ID:	40944  

Looks like it should work, go on.

I think you might have been using a photo for the figure?

Since this is work in progress, and I don't see glaring things that'd ruin the end result, I'd say you should just go on and finish it with this approach.

Three things, though:

The entirely black left side should not be left like this in the finished work. It is too flat to support the detailed figure. Best of all, put it further to the back, and make it lighter. I am not sure what it is meant to represent - a wall? a building? Try more sky there, or a building much further away.

The figure needs lighting on more than the left arm, but that's obvious. Not obvious: it's better to work on the figure all over, gradually adding detail everywhere, rather than focus on a single area like this. You would find it easier to do, and it creates fewer chances for an inconsistency to creep in.

Finally, with lighting like this it needs a strong falling shadow, not the pale fuzzy patch that you have there right now. Make it dark, and make it very clearly consistent with the light direction.

No photo, hence the horribly wrong left sided leg I'm afraid.

I know what you mean about the black area on the left, but imagine the crop coming much closer to the arm.

You're absolutely right about the shadow - it's just a light smear at present, and certainly needs work!

Ah. Well, looking at a photo of a person in the same pose - or in the mirror! - might help you sort the leg out if you don't like it.

I am not sure cropping it on the left close to the figure is a good idea. It would just cause a different sort of unbalance in the image, and not solve anything, because your character looks to our left, and you'll be "pressing" her face with the frame. She needs some space for her glance there; but not this black oblong either.