ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My black and white portraits

My black and white portraits

I said in my last post that I'l put my best one so far but I decided to put all of them.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

I find them all pretty good, but for expression and shading I prefer the upper right one.
    Umberto

These are amazing, love the way you do hair especially in the last 3.
    Last edited by Juz; 01-31-2010 at 04:34 PM.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Thanks juz. The first portrait was actually the first that I made with this program and I was experimenting with the hair

Galena, Kansas, USA (Southeast corner of the state)
    Just WOW!!!
    Do we have to accept what life hands us? Or can we say no thank you and ask for a different flavor?

Andrei....I am totally left speechless by these incredible portraits masterfully done by you. How I love black and white portraits! For me, these are proof that simple tonal work alone can achieve the same level of emotion, mood and drama that one with many colors can. I think these should be proudly posted in the Gallery for others to view and be amazed at your artistic ability.

Wow! Amazing work!!!
    You can see more of my work at http://krasched.deviantart.com/.
    IMAGINATION IS EVERYTHING-Einstein
    See you space cowboy..........

I detect many little signs of photographs used as very, very close reference here.

you are right arenhouse, I use photos for reference

Then I have a tip for you.

A few subtle things tell me that you aren't always thinking of the head's volume, and lapse into directly copying the tones off the photo. That is treacherous. Photos can be muddy, or the makeup throwing the lighting off, or you might miss an important detail that is not distinct in a particular photograph. In many cases there won't be a difference, but in places I see these lapses of artistic thought, as missed details or mushy tone. A shadow out of place, a missed line - little telltales, I am not sure how many people will see it, but I do.

Are you using a "planes" approach when you do work like this? It helps to visualize the tone as light reflected off angled planes of the head. If you keep thinking of the form first and photograph second, you won't miss the important things even if the photo is not presenting the face well enough. You'll know they are there, and so not miss them.