Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Custom picker utility

I don't understand what you mean by "win zip" the file, do you work on a Mac ?
    I said "unzip" the file, you have to have a compression software
    which can handle the .rar files ,
    I just installed Astrotite for that , is free , you can download it here
    or you can make the choice of another program
    from the compression rubric, just check that can handle the .rar files.

Hope that can help
    Last edited by Dany51; 02-05-2010 at 08:27 AM.
    "All are about quiet and light." Dany
    Daily Studio Notes , Daniela Ionesco-Fine Art

maybe this will help

I have uploaded a plain ol' fashioned zip version of the files to my website, for anyone having a problem with the rar file. Rar files are compressed files more often used on linux computer systems

You can get it at http://www.web-bandit.com/files/artr...stompicker.zip.

Most windows computers can unzip a zipped file by right clicking on the zip file and selecting "extract" or "extract all" from the pop up menu. Or you can use winzip, or whatever program you are accustomed to.

You will need all of the files in the extracted folder, but the ones you want to pay attention to are called "picker_sort.exe" and "picker_unsort.exe" If you have a standard, un-customized, windows installation, you won't see the "EXE" part, you'll just see the file names "picker_sort" and "picker_unsort".

And then it's just a matter of dragging your col files onto the exe file to make your custom picker. (You'll need two explorer windows open )

the icons for the files will look similar to one of these icons on a windows computer. (xp and vista - don't know what windows7 look like) Hope that helps...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I don't have digital... I don't have diddly squat
    It's not having what you want... it's wanting what you've got

Dany, I don't have Mac I have Windows XP - no doubt this is the problem...

Lee, none of the files I downloaded have the .exe part which is puzzling because azatho refers to them as executable files fron the get go.
    But what i downloaded is what i got

I already tried the dragging and dropping from window to window - but it wasnt possible... no doubt because this is a .rar file and is not executable.

This may be only for Mac users, a pity because its a sweet idea.

PS; Lee will check out your site as i have had problems with .rar files before
    Last edited by Rowena; 02-06-2010 at 12:24 AM.

Rar and zip files are compressed files. Like containers that need to be opened before you see the actual files in them.
    You use an extracting software, like the one mentioned above, or like Winrar, or Winzip, which will open those kinds of files.
    In this case, inside the compressed file, there is a folder, which you can extract (usually as simple as dragging it from the extracting software to anywhere you like).
    The executables I mentioned are inside there.

Windows XP can handle zip files by default, as 337_lee mentions. You could get the zip he's provided and extract it by right clicking, without using any other software.
    It's usually useful to have a generic extraction software, though, as they can handle most if not all types of compressed files you could encounter, and are usually small and free.

Hope this helps =)

"I don't have Mac I have Windows XP - no doubt this is the problem..." and "This may be only for Mac users, a pity because its a sweet idea."

Actually, if I understand the posts here, Macs are the only machines it won't work with ... yet

"none of the files I downloaded have the .exe part"

I think you're just having a little trouble extracting the actual files from the compressed rar folder. If you're not familiar with rar files (or any other compressed files), they can be a pain in the you know where.

I'm just guessing, but it sounds to me like you used WinZip and created a compressed or zip file of the original rar file, instead of decompressing or extracting the stuff inside it. I don't know if WinZip even works with rar files... but it might. Rar just isn't a common format for the average Windows user, but it's actually easy to deal with once you have it mastered. I use a program called TugZip (free) to handle some of those formats, but there are many others too.

"will check out your site as i have had problems with .rar files before"

The files inside the zip file are the windows executable files - same stuff as in the rar file -just re-packaged. They should work for you. If you still are having trouble, let me know, and I'll try to come up with a different way. Like you said, it is a sweet idea, and it works very well.
    I don't have digital... I don't have diddly squat
    It's not having what you want... it's wanting what you've got

Thumbs up

This is FANTASTIC! I've spent ages trying to find something that I could gather the colours from a painting with but no luck.

I had trouble with the downloaded file when I used Firefox - but I managed to download it with Internet Explorer.

I have made a shortcut to the prog on my desktop and now I can open a folder of my paintings and drop the .jpg over the .exe which creates a .png file in the same folder which I can open in ArtRage3 as a custom colour picker - Magic!

Many thanks!!!

Dany, I don't have Mac I have Windows XP - no doubt this is the problem...

Lee, none of the files I downloaded have the .exe part which is puzzling because azatho refers to them as executable files fron the get go.
    But what i downloaded is what i got

I already tried the dragging and dropping from window to window - but it wasnt possible... no doubt because this is a .rar file and is not executable.

This may be only for Mac users, a pity because its a sweet idea.
    Rowena, I work on PC too,
    I hope that You did arrived to a good issue,
    if not, read another time carefully all the posts on the thread,
    You have all the answers you want and is really easy.

I am not very accustomed to the rar files neither
    but except that you have to have a software which work with them
    (you have a long list in the thread) is not difficult to decompress them .

Tell us if you arrived to make your pickers
    "All are about quiet and light." Dany
    Daily Studio Notes , Daniela Ionesco-Fine Art

Hi Rowena,

RAR is like ZIP, it's a means of compressing the file. WinZip can't read the RAR file, but the free program 7-zip can! You can download 7-zip from http://www.7-zip.org/

I had a problem downloading because I thought the link was to the file itself. It turned out the link was a link to a webpage which had a link to the file on it. So first click on the link to go to the Google site, then save the file under the second link on that page.

Unhappy Any Suggestions PLEASE

I have downloaded and unzipped the custompicker program to my colors folder successfuly..But when I drop any color folder to either of the exec.folders I get a "flash of what seems to be the program operating" but no *png (picker) folder appears anywhere.?????
    Very frustrating.

franc: Before dragging image/file to the executable, try copying it into the same directory. <edit>Nevermind. It seems to output the palette based on the path of the input. So there is no need to copy files anywhere. Just drag and drop.</edit>

It probably would be a good idea to provide some sort of README with the app.
    Last edited by bebraw; 02-20-2010 at 07:26 PM.