ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Bamboo, 1st serious digital piece

Bamboo, 1st serious digital piece

And, unlike my non-serious attempts, it's actually turning out somewhat successfully! Imagine that.

A little trio of bamboo stalks that I have in my room. I wanted a real life subject to try my first serious work on, so I just pulled the little pot over to my desk and voila. It's also my first bamboo set that I've managed to keep alive for more than a few weeks, so I thought I'd celebrate that too!

I'm primarily using the oil brush, but did add a little ink and crayon to the mix (plus a little airbrush just for fun).

Had to save it as a .jpg for size limits, hopefully it survived the conversion. Critique is always welcome and accepted, especially since I'm new to digital art. I've played around on ArtRage for a while, so I'm familiar with it, but I've never truly taken the time to work with it like this. (Also, any way to fix the unevenness of the pot rim without too much agony??)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BambooWIP.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	342.7 KB 
ID:	40837  
    Last edited by TheLittlestFrog; 01-30-2010 at 06:15 PM.

I like this one just the way it is!
    Looking forward to seing more of your work!
    If I were marooned on a desert island, please air drop me a copy of Artrage 5.0! (Plus a laptop and solar panel)

Thank you! Thankfully the weekend is (finally) here so I should have some time to work on more if not finish this one, and perhaps find some inspiration for a second experiment too.

This has great potential. You have made the bowl look 3D. Be interesting to see the finished product. Don't hurry yourself, take your time with this one, the results should be spectacular.

The drawing is solid, you seem to know your way around color and handling of the tools you use, so no doubt this will be great.I look forward to the finished piece.
    Just say: "Rage It", because we already know it's art.

My ArtRage 3 and 4 Gallery------My Site ------- BROWSE MY BOOK

Hi LF, I also like the drawing and the color delicate and beautiful on it,
    I like it as it is but if you continue I will be glad to see the final result.
    "All are about quiet and light." Dany
    Daily Studio Notes , Daniela Ionesco-Fine Art

I accept critics only from friends,
    how about You ?

I'd suggest you paint the background before the foreground, not the other way.

It is much easier to work an object into its environment, than to create an environment to match an object you had painted on a blank page. Like a hundred times more easy.

Smile A little WIP advice

The only 2 things I could add to possibly help you out is work on laying some dark base colors under your sketch either using a layer below or using multiply. This way you can control the overall tone at the same time instead of doing section by section. Also your line work could be cleaned up just a tad by using a pen tool with smooth turned up a a bit. You'll have less to erase or worry about poking out behind your paint as you work. Shading is looking good!

Shading and colour are excellent. While I agree for something that's intended to be a finshed polished piece it's better to take all areas of the painting to similar stages of finish before working out details, there's nothing wrong with doing sketches and reference drawings in isolation, without focusing on the background as well.

The perspective isn't bad, but unlesss that pot is a bit wonky and the bamboo tipping over slightly away from the viewer it's not 100 per cent accurate - I think the latter effect is mainly because the soil in the pot is only sitting in front of the bamboo not going around it - it flattens that area of the image making it look odd. Some of the ellipses of the pot drawing are slightly tilted - unless the pot itself is tilted or out of true they should all be horizontal. I find drawing this sort of shape accurately freehand from observation is hard, particularly using a tablet - I often have to sketch in perspective lines to get cylindrical objects looking right, even when I'm drawing from actual objects.

I wish I could see these faults as easily in my own drawings as on someone else's. I can't count the number of efforts that I come back to after a break, look at and see that there's some fundemental error in the basic structure of the drawing. At least with Artrage it's quicker to redraw the relevant bits on a new layer and fix it up. Harder with pen and ink, when the thing is a long way towards being finished.
    Last edited by SusanS; 02-05-2010 at 03:00 PM.