ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Kubla Khan

Kubla Khan

This cave column is called Kubla Khan and is in Karchner Caverns south of Tucson Arizona. The entire column is 58 feet high. I used negative space and a black backround to emphasize the structure. If a cave were in bright sunlight the overall impression of color would be grey rock. Underground the color comes from yellow lighting and red iron oxide. In cave exploration there is a powerful sense of peering into the darkness to see more features. I have deliberately used just yellow, red, and a shadowy blue purple to heighten the feeling of disorientation. I used crayon on smooth paper and the palette knife with smudge to create the flowing rock.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

What a cool image to capture and a perfect subject for a painting. The black under-painting really gives it depth and texture! and the colors are mesmerizing. Looks like you have more than just a feel for this Steve! Very well done!!

P.S. (Erica says hi! )
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    Eckhart Tolle

This would stand on its own as an abstract. Very cool.
    "If I could only learn to be humble, I would be so proud." Author Unknown.

Thats terrific work Steve, well done
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

This is just beautiful, Steve! I love your technique of the flowing rocks...it's very effective. The colors against the black background almost make them glow!

The reference photo

Thanks for the comments everyone. I was going to post this reference photo at the same time as the painting and realized it would be distracting but I did want everyone to see the real thing. You can see why it needs to be simplified to make a good painting.

A fine interpretation of your source! Ive always been fascinated by underground rock formations.
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

New version

I should have put this on work in progress. Based on feedback, I made the colors on the left less green and more yellow, blackened some of the background and changed the white formation in the middle which looked a little too stuck on. This is the version I'll be showing at the Lake Havasu Art Show.

pretty cool painting!
    Browse my gift store.
    http://www.zazzle.com/evart_production

Would you like to learn more about how to
    start your own online store? Click the link below.
    http://www.zazzle.com/sell