ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Studying values

Studying values

I am lately doing a lot of monochromatic studies, aiming to improve my values understanding, which happens to be one of my greatest enemies while painting

I thought to post 2 of those doodles. First one, rocks (I always had problems painting em, but I am slowly learning) :
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rocce01-02.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	40765  
    Last edited by Andrea; 01-30-2010 at 12:16 AM.

Second one, a speed painting of a sci-fi vehicle :
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ship01-10b.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	40766  

Well, Andrea, I think your studying of the monochromatic values have paid off because I see nothing wrong with either of these two doodles! As a matter of fact, I am in awe of your blending of the sci-fi vehicle to create that glossy/shiny affect. It's wonderful! I think you did a pretty job on those rocks as well and they look pretty realistic to me.

Thanks a lot Eileen I am not very happy with the vehicle but as I said they are just sketches done for improving myself :P

In case someone cares to know :
    - the background is done using some custom stickers I created
    - most of the painting is done with the basic oil
    - most of the blending is done with a custom palette knife

Thanks for watching

Hi Andrea,
    These look quite brilliant!
    I found a spot in the vehicle which could increase the authenticity and used your drawing to sketch over. I hope you don't mind. I am posting it here.
    I just worked on the top edges and gave them a little curve so they disappear behind the dark glass(?). It might help perceive the ship as more 3D object.

Again I hope you don't mind me taking this liberty but I thought this might help
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The more hair I lose, the more head I get.

@flyashy : of course I don't mind, I am glad you did it Your mod is quite interesting indeed, but it looks to me that it is "turning" the model some degrees, so that it is not seen by side anymore .. ?

anyway your mod looks quite good, I guess I could try to do something in that line for improving that sketch

Andrea-this is wonderfully painted. I hope to be able to paint as well, but there is much practice for me this year!

This thread is a valuable vehicle for valid volume and value studies .....
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Thanks Alexandra and Caesar, you are all so kind!

I guess that vehicle is not so valuable, it has some serious aerodynamic issues

Oh Okay, now I get it, your image was a orthogonal side view and hence the way you'd worked out the top.
    I guess it was the lower afterburners(?) which are at an angle to the view that made it appear as if the ship was at an angle to me.
    The more hair I lose, the more head I get.