ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Popup menu issue with tablet stylus

Popup menu issue with tablet stylus

Guys, this is really annoying

Well, I'm used to pop-up the layer menu by tapping the layer menu icon with the tablet stylus. Given that certain menus take a lot of screen estate, it happens often that the popup cannot appear with left upper corner under the mouse cursor, but it appears under the mouse cursor.

Oddly enough, in this situation a single tap with the stylus opens the popup menu and selects the menu item under the cursor. Sometimes trying to open the menu strage things happen because menu items are selected with no apparent menu popup.

This doesn't happen operating with the mouse. This seems to happen on each menu.

Using Windows XP SP3 + Intuos III/Bamboo Fun (this happens with both tablets).
    Umberto

Hi Umberto,
    this happen to me too, but only when i run AR with WINE in Linux.
    As an work around i move the layer panel to the top and a little to the
    left. Then the menu behaves as it should.
    Same thing happen with the color picker (for me) and sometimes with the
    mouse
    Hope this helps

I haven't been able to replicate this problem, could you let me know what screen size you're running?

One important thing to check is that your tablet is actually single clicking, I have noticed that as the nib on my stylus wears down, it starts to double click things when I only intended to single click, and that could cause a problem here. I'm using the same tablet setup on my own test machine (Intuous 3, Win XP SP3).
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Hi Matt, I'm working with a 1280x800 screen res (and also with a 1280x1024 monitor on the other machine). With those res and the layer pane placed on right side of the screen the layer popup menu is mostly under the mouse cursor.

I suppose that my stylus doesn't perform a double click with a single tap. To open folders i need two quick taps as usual like mouse.
    Umberto

The screen height would certainly cause the menu position to be offset in order for the menu to fit. The OS handles all of that for us and tries to make sure that all menu items are available.

I'll make a note to look at some alternative methods of menu triggering for a future update, I have a couple of ideas that may help.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Matt, for me there is no problem if the menu is shifted under the mouse cursor to fit into the screen. It's absolutely natural to me. My problem is that the single click on the icon causes the menu to appear and the selection of the menu item that appears under the cursor.

I must say that with 1280x1024 on XP the problem is not present (just checked now, in my previous post I didn't have the XP machine at hand), while it's present with 1280x800 on Windows 7, ad is particularly annoying with the blend modes menu (ok, it's accessible also via the layer menu, but you know...)

Moreover, while on XP the menu manages to appear at left or right of the cursor, under Windows 7 is appears under the cursor on same conditions. Maybe this is the reason, a different OS behavior?

Anyway, just checked on tha control panel the pen properties and it looks like it's active the "single tap=single click" mode, as I previously said.
    Last edited by uuderzo; 02-05-2010 at 01:28 PM.
    Umberto

The potential alternative I mentioned before would be to handle the situation in which the OS is processing a click on the item under the cursor as you mouse up.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Matt, this could be the solution. I wonder, anyway, if this issue can be present also on other apps under windows 7... must check it.
    Umberto

Ehm... I suppose that 3.0.6 doesn't fix this issue?
    Umberto

Unfortunately not, a change such as the one I described should really be applied globally and before I do that I need to spend some more time considering alternatives.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.