ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google Sketchup & AR

Google Sketchup & AR

Here's an interesting article on how this film matte painter uses Google Sketchup and Photoshop or Painter in his digital paintings for film...

There's no reason why an artist could not use AR with Google Sketchup instead of Photoshop or Painter....

http://forums.sketchucation.com/view...p?f=81&t=17731

The free version of Sketchup should be more then capable for most...

Cheers

Ken

Excellent ideas in the article. I can see this as a way to find the best position or 'angle' on a subject (using SketchUp) and also for checking perspective and proportions.

All you need is a screen capture to paint over so yes, the free version should work fine.

Thanks for posting.

Also the free version has the option to export as a 2D graphic file (jpg, bmp) which is much better then a screen capture...

It's on the menu File->Export then select 2D or 3D... Then file format...

I created the buildings in this Paint Shop Pro image in Sketchup, every thing else was created in Paint Shop Pro and Painter...

Cheers

Ken
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p662013929-5.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	439.1 KB 
ID:	40754  
    Last edited by kenmo; 01-29-2010 at 09:23 AM.

Really good idea, I simply forget SketchUp. Since weeks I'm looking for a quick and easy way to build complex perspective constructions to use it in ArtRage. I checked out CorelDraw, Illustrator and at last I did use InkScape for that. But after the link and the quick promotion video on the google site got SketchUp his chance

Exactly...I'm a big fan of Bert Monroy who uses Illustrator in his Photoshop work but I can't afford Illustrator... I then stumbled upon an article on how Dylan Cole uses 3D (Cinema4D) in his film matte paintings & illustrations. Later I stumbled upon a few articles where Google Sketchup was mentioned as a good alternative to 3D Max, Lightwave or Cinema4D...

Sketchup and Wings3D (another freebie) are perhaps the easiest to use 3D modeling apps out there...

There was also an article in ImagineFX mag a few months ago about using Google Sketchup in 2D paintings... The article may now be in pdf format at the ImagineFX site. If it is I'll post a link...

Cheers

Ken

PS: It was in the pages of ImagineFX that I first heard of ArtRage. If you notice another kenmo on the forums there ....it's me...!!!
    Last edited by kenmo; 01-29-2010 at 11:15 AM.

At the ImagieFX site an article (downloadable in PDF format) Francis Tsai (has used Artrage in other articles) talks about using 3D (and Sketchup) in 2D paintings....

http://www.imaginefx.com/02287754330...-3d-in-2d.html

Cheers

Ken

Hey, Ken....I checked out Alex Jenyon's post using Sketchup and found it quite interesting and informative. He does explain at the bottom of his post that any painting package that uses layers would be fine to use along with Sketchup. He says he doesn't use ArtRage simply because he doesn't know how to use it! Maybe we should send him a link to this forum and recommend him trying it out!!! Not knowing is no excuse, right?

That's a very interesting topic. It's a while I'm playing with SketchUp and various rendering engines for it, but I never really tried to use it for creating the base for a painting. Everything actually started when I did read that ImagineFX article, quite a lot of time ago :P I guess I'll finally give it a try and post the results if they are worth it

Yes, I have used Sketchup a lot in my work. Even if you don't make any buildings to paint over, simply plopping down a few 3D cubes and moving the camera around to different eye levels gives you some great perspective lines you can use when printed or transferred to painting prog's.

And don't forget if you actually want to use the lines in your images there are some great alternative 'pen' lines you can use.

Thanks kenmo for all this resources,
    I wasn't very attracted in the beginning by the Google Sketchup,
    as I am not very attracted by making 3d images,
    but is a good idea and I will give it a try when I will have more time.

I(we) have to learn how to not spread around following all the new
    and beautiful softs, it seams that there are no limit to it
    but our life is very limited in time (only a few maximum around 120 years to live) so we have to know and find what is most important to us
    !!
    "All are about quiet and light." Dany
    Daily Studio Notes , Daniela Ionesco-Fine Art

I accept critics only from friends,
    how about You ?