ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: The stroke don't complete

The stroke don't complete

Hi,

I'm wondering why the stroke completes only when the mouse goes up.
    It's sometimes very disturbing because what you see at a moment is not the current state of your paint until you lift up the stylus.
    I can understand a delay when painting but when you stop moving, I would like the stroke to end.
    AR 3.0.8/MacBookPro 2.4Ghz 4Gb RAM/NVidia 8600M GT 256Mb/MacOS 10.6.4/Wacom Bamboo

I think we covered this in one of the freezing/lag threads: The ArtRage stroke engine needs to know where you're going before it knows how to blend or construct the stroke. The stroke will always catch up to your brush head when you lift the stylus to ensure that it reaches the point you painted to, because when you lift the stylus the system knows that the stroke is not progressing further and can create the correct result.

Just paint natural strokes, watch your cursor/stylus rather than the current location the stroke has caught up to, and draw to the point you want the stroke to end at and it will end there.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Is this related to the phenomena when you draw a stroke the app sort of smoothens the stroke when it's finished ? i find that to be very annoying as you have to wait for the stroke to be drawn until you can draw the next one. It's slowing down the entire process of drawing and takes away the whole feel of actually painting with a tablet and the sense of realism is gone. can this be fixed or is it just some settings i missed that fixes this issue ?!

/ Magnus

If you turn Smoothing down to 0% for the two tools that support this feature (Ink Pen and Precise Pencil) the stroke will not be redrawn.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Aha, thanks Matt i will try that tonight and see if it works. Perhaps the smoothing feature should be disabled by default on all brushes to avoid problems like this in the future.

/ Magnus

Actually, I was not talking about smoothing but about the fact the paint is not completed until you release the mouse.

Matt says:
    "watch your cursor/stylus rather than the current location the stroke has caught up to, and draw to the point you want the stroke to end at and it will end there."

You ask me to draw without seeing the end of the stroke, so I have to imagine where the stroke will end. Very difficult and not so "natural". I never have to do that with a real pencil so why I should with AR ?
    Especially with the pencil where there is no color blending like with oil or water color.
    AR 3.0.8/MacBookPro 2.4Ghz 4Gb RAM/NVidia 8600M GT 256Mb/MacOS 10.6.4/Wacom Bamboo

The response regarding Smoothing did not refer to your concern.

Regarding watching the end of the stroke: Watch your cursor, that is where the stroke will end, like watching the tip of your pencil as you paint, or the brush head while you work (you can't see under the brush head until you lift it, after all).
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.