ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Over the top

Over the top

Conan the Barbarian meets the Yeti.
    Imaginary, quick enough one layer oil.
    A modest contribution to Fantasy paintings and an humble tribute to Frazetta from me too (although i did not study his style as yet with some depth).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Conan and the Yeti.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	264.6 KB 
ID:	40643  
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Yey! First one to comment!!
    This looks great, Caesar!! Love the subtle shades that still appear rugged!!

oh and for the next one you MUST have at least one woman (that you draw so well) in there!!!
    The more hair I lose, the more head I get.

LOL I do have a woman in here ... home, I mean, dear Flyashy. . Kidding, I'll see what can do. Why not an entire harem then?
    Well, I'll take my old little agenda and look for the ones I heroically saved ... up to 15 years ago (from boredom to be precise) ...
    Anyway I'll have to cover and drape them strategically to pass the Main Gallery Test though.

Thank You, dear Sandra!

Fantastic Caesar I wish I could do this. love it. Best wishes Jo x

Wonderful Cesare this looks great nicely done

Dear Jo, I didn't know You like Yetis so much! I'm kidding! Thank You, dear mate!

I'm glad You like this too, dear Amanda!

Yeah, this is very cool. I really love the information that we can size them up by as they approach each other.

I want to read this story to find out what happens next!!!!!!

Well done Caesar. I love the watercolor style you've done.

An asides about Frazetta, since I was a great admirer of his work:

Frazetta started out in comic books, so he really posed his figures in highly stylized, exaggerated ways to show off whatever it was that he was showing. And he definitely lead you by the hand, the eye and really produced an amazing amount of tension. This is one of the results of drawing countless times the human form in exaggerated ways. He could do it all out of his head in a day.

He did covers for books and magazines a lot, and they loved him because he used a lot of contrast in both color and values. They knew that their books etc were competing with everything else in the store. And as such, Frazetta was like a hawker who comes right up to you in an busy Arabian bazaar. He got the product noticed and promised great adventure and sensation. Sometimes the books were a let down. Sometimes they were the Magic Lamp. Pssssst. . . hey kid. . . ever had your wildest dream come true? Check this out. . .

Steven King had to have been a fan of his. The book Needful Things was about selling people exactly the thing in their imaginings they wanted most. Frazetta and King didn't collaborate on anything to my knowledge, but while King never mentioned Frazetta, he alluded to that grandiose genre as being of great interest to him growing up. Creepy and Eerie magazines and so forth. And of course the Conan books did deliver to the young male power fantasies hugely.

Long before I was even thinking about doing art commercially, when I bought a book with a Frazetta cover, I spent a lot of time lost in looking at the cover. It often never had anything to do with the story inside, and many times it was better. I think he pretty much got a sentence or two synopsis and ran with whatever he wanted to with the painting.

Great stuff.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thank You very much, dear D Akey, for the story about Frazetta and Your passion for him and for Your appreciation! I read also some of his biography months ago, and saw some pictures of him.