ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learning and playing with ink tools

Smile Learning and playing with ink tools

Just trying to get a grasp on the pencil and ink tools... Where AR beats Painter hands down is in the drawing tools like pen and the ink pen, plus the many stencils (circles, french curves, rulers, etc).... To draw this hot rod in Painter or Painter Shop Pro it would not have been as easy as in AR...

Because I've not yet come to grasp with the painting tools in AR I brought the AR sketch into Paint Shop Pro and painted the car with gradients & the paint bucket... I did try AR's spray paint and the paint appeared to have an orange peel type effect.... Orange peel is not good for hot rods... I did the spider web with a stencil I created in AR and I've uploaded to this forum....

I'm a car nut and I've been wanting to do more car illustrations (especially American hot rods, cars of the 1950's & 60's, muscle cars, etc) and I think AR maybe the perfect tool for doing this...

The image is very far from being completed and has a long way to go... Any good AR tutorial on doing car or auto illustrations/paintings/sketches????

Cheers

Ken
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rodsmall.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	40639   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rodsmallpaint.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	40640  

This is a very cool drawing

Glad to see you are giving AR a try. The tools the AR offers can certainly compliment what you want to do. Learning to combine the tools you have available to you, such as Photoshop, etc. can certainly go a long way to creating the effect you want. Nice job.

Thanks kindly.... It was Al Kratzer's excellent tutorial here

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=26634

that gave me incentive to try this...

At first I thought I would use a 3D Sketchup model from Google Warehouse but opted instead to use a photo...

Did some playing last night.... Redrew the door lines to make them slimmer and more like real door lines in AR... Original were way too thick...

Love how in AR you can easily draw a straight line at any angle using the CONTROL key....

Coloring, highlights & shadows were added in Paint Shop Pro.
    Tried to color in AR but I don't have a good grasp on the tools. Tried the gradient stencil and I know how to resize it but I only wanted to resize it lengthwise and not in height... Can that be done? Also I found the magic wand & selection tools limited compared to Paint Shop Pro (I also find Painter's selection tools limited as well)....

Details (spark plug wires, alternator & starter wires, web decal, oil dip stick) were added using AR...

Not finished yet...

I think AR is the perfect drawing tool for me combined with Canvas for vector stuff.... Did not use Canvas in this drawing though as I found the AR pen tool to me more then adequate and a pleasure to use....

Name:	rod006.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	40694  

Sweet! Really nice illustration Kenmo!
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    Eckhart Tolle

Oops the drawing I just uploaded doesn't have the electrical wires I added to the engine...

So I'll uploaded this...

Name:	hotrod007.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	40696  

A bit of an update. Didn't have as much time as I would have liked last night to do some playing in AR....

Added some details to the hot rod...Still not finished... Thought about added a driver to the car....

Also changed spark plug wires to yellow color. And removed the starter as Chevy V8's have the starter on the other side. Every hot rodder knows the driver's side of a Chevy V8 is where the oil filter is... I should know as I've replaced mine quite frequently over the past 20 years of owning it...

Name:	hotrod014.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	40742  
    Last edited by kenmo; 01-29-2010 at 04:24 AM.

Another quick sketch in AR. No this won't be the driver but just playing around in AR....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Just a bit of an update...added this driver (created in AR) to my hot rod... Used Paint Shop Pro X2 to paste the driver into the car....

Name:	hotrod022-small.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	40875  
    Attached Images Attached Images