ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gradient Fill?

Gradient Fill?

Hi,

is it possible to do color gradient fills with the fill tool?

On page 59 of the AR3 Pro manual is an image with a comiclike character,
    and left to him the layer palette is shown with 4 layers and one layer shows
    a fill from a light blue to a middle blue.

How was this done???

Regards.
    Kunst muss nicht immer kompliziert sein!

Currently the fill tool does not perform gradient fills. Most likely in the work you refer to the gradient was imported from another application.

To achieve a gradient you could use a filter such as KPT gradient designer, import from an outside application or use one of the gradient stencils from the art supplies section.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Hello, Narf.....yes, Juz is right...the one that I believed that was used for that cartoon in the AR3 manual was one of the included stencils from AR3: Gradient - Linear. I was just trying those out the other day while playing around with AR3! Below is a screen print of what I was able to do with that stencil to get the same result I think you're looking for.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ArtRage's Gradient Stencil.png 
Views:	668 
Size:	431.1 KB 
ID:	40622  

Beautiful job on those gradients Eileen.

These will be handy when doing car & hot rod pics...

Thanks kindly...

ah thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen724 View Post
    Hello, Narf.....yes, Juz is right...the one that I believed that was used for that cartoon in the AR3 manual was one of the included stencils from AR3: Gradient - Linear. I was just trying those out the other day while playing around with AR3! Below is a screen print of what I was able to do with that stencil to get the same result I think you're looking for.
    Ah, thanks, I found it. But how did you get the different colors?

I do only get red gradients.
    Kunst muss nicht immer kompliziert sein!

Eheh! AR3 is asked to become more and more Photoshop and Illustrator like... I admit I'm tempted to desire also vector graphics like Easy Paint Tool SAI, but I think this would break the sould of AR. It will morph into something different and, maybe, too complicated but... who knows

Narf, the red gradient is a mask. The red indicates the masked part. Place the mask (stencil) on the canvas and paint over it with, for example, the felt pen with a color of your choice. The red part of the mask will filter out your tool color, the transparent part will let color go onto canvas. Different red levels mean different "filtering" power. After the paint, move the stencil away and you will get your gradient.
    Last edited by uuderzo; 01-27-2010 at 12:40 PM.
    Umberto

Thanks, GZ...!!!!

Thanks, Uuderzo for explaining to Narf how to use the stencil!

Narf...just follow Uuderzo's instructions on how to use this stencil (it's the basic instruction on how to use any of the stencils). Use whatever tool you would like to color over the stencil and you'll get the same result with this particular gradient stencil. I also have some other gradient stencils that were so graciously provided by other ragers in this forum so let me know if you'd be interested in having those! Good luck and have lots of fun!!!

Another method to create a gradient is to use the Blur Panel. Having first colored in an area, one can turn on the Lock Transparency feature and painting over the area one wishes to fade into a different color and then use the Blur Panel to blend them to whatever degree they'd like. Here are the steps using screen shots:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gradient1.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	40674

Name:	gradient2.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	104.7 KB 
ID:	40675

Name:	gradient3.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	40676

Name:	gradient4.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	40677
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Wow, thanks, Someonesane! That is one of the many things that I haven't even begun to explore yet with AR3 - the Blur Panel and Transparency Lock! Definitely something for me to take note and try!!!