ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some features I would love to find in the stickers engine

Some features I would love to find in the stickers engine

I am loving ArtRage and I am currently exploring the possibilities that the stickers engine offers. I naturally tried to "convert" some of my favorite custom brushes from Photoshop & Painter to ArtRage, and though I know that it is pointless to ask ArtRage to be something else than ArtRage, I still believe some new features could bring the stickers engine to a new level of creative chances :

- sticker stretching : on x, y or both axis

- sticker density : how many stamps we get on canvas, based on a spacing value

- constrained rotation : so that we can choose to constrain the rotation to a portion of degrees, while now the rotation runs through the 360 degrees space -- while it would be great to have the brush rotating randomly only in the values included between let's say -15 and +15

- pattern sticker : the sticker is painted in a continuous non-overlapping way (take a look at Painter's pattern pen or especially ZBrush deco tool)

I repeat that I am not pretending ArtRage to behave like Photoshop or Painter, I just wanted to propose some new features that I think could make it more versatile especially for speed painting fast concept work.

Thanks for reading and a big thank you to the Ambient team for such an amazing software! I wish it to become more and more used in the professional environment

Artrage does not yet do disproportionate scaling. However all of your other requests are accomodated within the current version of Studio Pro.

Sticker density can be controlled by adjusting the settings spray rate. Turn on continuous if you wish to build up stickerspray in one area.

- constrained rotation : so that we can choose to constrain the rotation to a portion of degrees, while now the rotation runs through the 360 degrees space -- while it would be great to have the brush rotating randomly only in the values included between let's say -15 and +15
    -15 to 15 describes an arc of 30 however AR deals with values in terms of percentage. So simply divide 30 by 360 and then multiply by 100 to get a result of 8.333333. Round this off to the nearest whole number which is 8, set the rotate property to random with a value of 8. Because we want the rotation to start at negative 15 we will also need a new rotation base value of -4 percent. (see attached top)

For a pattern pen just adjust spray rate to achieve the spacing desired (see attached bottom)

The variations dialog is worth getting to know. It gives us a lot of programming features in a very user friendly GUI... its actually a stroke of genius on behalf of the rage team.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Juz; 01-26-2010 at 12:37 PM.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Thanks a lot for your answer

About the rotation : it looks to me ArtRage is rotating only in a direction. If you put it to random and 8% like you say, it will rotate from 0% t0 8% but only in the same direction, which happens to be counter-clockwise. What I am talking about is having the brush rotating in both directions given a range.

About the spray rate : I spent some hours playing with the options in the Spray Variation matrix, but I didn't notice the "adjust spray rate" in the Settings toolbar. It works great, thanks!

About the "pattern pen" : I already managed to roughly mimic it that way, but the problem lays in the way the pattern is deforming along the path. ZBrush deco tool (and Painter pattern pen, even if less nicely) gently deform the pattern along the path melting the steps together, while in ArtRage you always get separated steps. I link Painter and ArtRage versions of same brush I created :
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	patternpensample.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	40599  

Change the base value to negative 4 (this accounts for half of the total arc you wish to rotate). This tells it to start (base value) at -15 and then random rotate 30 of arc starting from that base value. It can now randomly rotate anywhere between -15 and 15.

With regards to the stickerspray i can't promise that a result like the painter one can be achieved but maybe post your variations here as well to see if anyone can help refine it better. If all else fails you can always import from painter
    Last edited by Juz; 01-26-2010 at 01:05 PM.

The deal is to make the brush rotate between 2 values defining a range, which I understand is not possible with ArtRage. Of course the are ways to kinda live with this (choosing a range and assigning it to pen direction, using the pen to modify the range -- that's what I am doing now in some of my custom stickers), but I hope Ambient team will one day add this (and the other 2) feature

I've edited the image... try those parameters to see if its doing what you describe in terms of confining all the random rotate values to between
    -15 and +15
    Last edited by Juz; 01-26-2010 at 01:36 PM.

I tried it too but no way. I guess the random deviation applies to the base value, so if we select, let's say, -8 as base and +8 ad random, we don't get a real 16 interval.

I did this ugly and fast image to show some of the tests I did.

First : no value applied to base nor to random, we see the brush not rotated.

Second, third : 2 tests using same values. We can see that the base value "wins" over random and it decides the overall rotation of the brush.

Fourth : putting a greater random value forces the brush rotation to go more far from the base value, though most of the printer brushes are near to the base value direction.

Fifth : making the random value even bigger we finally get a more "even" random rotation inside a range. There is some math making the random effect becomes stronger as its value gets bigger, it seems to me.

Anyway, this a tricky way of getting things done, and it really has few in common with ArtRage elegant and beautiful way of doing things

My idea would be to add a 2-rings round control near the Spray Rate one : clicking on the outer ring we set the middle point of the range, clicking and dragging in the inner ring we define the range around the middle point. After we do this, all rotation settings we do inside of the Spray Variation window will be constrained to that range
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rotationsamples.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	40608  

Had a play and see what you mean... i'm not able to get it to rotate randomly (forward and back) between the start of -15 and 15 degrees. It seems to have a clockwise bias to me.

I Like your proposal for a solution.
    Last edited by Juz; 01-26-2010 at 01:41 PM.

I'll do a fast mock-up of what I mean and post it here

Anyway thanks for the feedback mate

And here is a fast mock-up of what I mean :
    Attached Images Attached Images