ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Blend with thinner/water, manual pigment loading?

Blend with thinner/water, manual pigment loading?

Hi! I just purchased Artrage. I own Painter,Pshop, and Sketchbook, but Im very enamoured of how faithfully AR has managed to capture the distilled look and essence of real painting, and would love to be able to do most of my work in it.

In fact, it *so* faithfully captures the experience, and is so intuitive in so many other ways, that there is one glaring omission from the real painting experience thats really frustrating to me.

I love being able to turn "auto clean" off, and having the "cup" of water/thinner/medium icon available to click on and clean my brush. But this feels so realistic to me, that I expect to be able to simply dip the brush in the water/medium, and take it back to the canvas and thin/blend the existing pigment thats there with it, without realoading my brush with more pigment. I mean, I literally catch myself doing it every time, and am frustrated when I cant do it without applying more color.

This is different from the "smudging" effect you get with the pallette knife. i really love the pigment blending that goes on with the loaded brushes. I want to be able to get the same effect by just "loading" a brush with water or thinner.

If there IS a way to do this, and I just havent come across it in the manual of the program thus far, I apologize. If someone could then point me to that, it would be great.

It also brings up the question of whether there should also be an option to turn "auto loading" off, so as to load your brushes manually with either pigment of medium, by clicking on your pallete, instead of having the brush auto loaded with pigment every time you leave the canvas.

Again, Im not looking to have artificial "blending" tools like Painter has added. I just want to be able to use the same mechanics that are already there intuitively to thin and blend pigment on the canvas, as I would when I was painting in RL.

Thanks for listening, and keep up the great work!

only water brush should be here in a near update of ar2... we are a lot to want this feature...

Hope this will be done very soon, i cant wait any more......

Yes. These are good. I would use them *daily*. Hey Art Rage team it's a love thing.
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

+1
    I like the suggestions here.
    Charlie

ArtRage for Art | EnergyXT2 for Music | Blender for 3D

OK Andy,
    I'll sign up to this one too!

I craved a canvas with a thin uniform coat of paint and you fixed it!
    Now I want to be able to dip the brush in thinners.

And when you've sorted this, perhaps a happy little animated paper clip whch arrives with an irritating noise and offers cheerful, but slightly patronising, art critiques?
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

Yes please- may I have some too

ScottC great ideas

+1

it has been suggested before, but you cannot suggest a good thing too many times, now can you?

You can approximate this by setting loadig to zero and thinners to 100% on the oil brush.

Hullo!

I would like to add my voice to this request. For me, being able able to thin or water down my paint would be mightily useful.

Thanks for a superb product!

Blue skies
    love
    Roy
    ROY BLUMENTHAL

Visual Facilitator: http://royblumenthal.com/portfolio

ArtRage 3.5.5 and 4.0.4 on:
    Fujitsu T901, Asus R1E

Quote Originally Posted by housewarmer
    You can approximate this by setting loadig to zero and thinners to 100% on the oil brush.

Yes, this post was originally made before the "dry brushing" capability (loading set to zero) was added. The dry brushing does address this request in large part. Thanks!

I would still like to see though, in some future AR version, a more intuitve (for real life painters, that is) brush settings interface based on graphical touch elements (like the "rinse brush" icon that appears when you turn auto-rinse off...I love that thing, I wish every brush loading control was based on the same thing...even the sound effect assigned to it is familiar and intuitive).

Like a pigment well icon (or ideally, mixing pallette) that loaded your brush based on how much you "rubbed it around" or how many times you tapped it, etc....a "cup" icon that contained thinner or medium, with which to dilute or thin the pigment...and a "rinse cup" icon, with which to clean (remove pigment) or reset the brush.

Id love to see forgiving, interaction-friendly representitive icons replace the fidgety sliders and numerical inputs (with the option to do either). And the icing on the cake, would be if you were able to detach any or all of those control elements to float right next to an area of detail work you were doing. Sort of like you can make the brush resize control a floating transparent button in AD Sketchpad (that doesnt require precise manipulation...only dragging anywhere withing the buttons confines to manip the brush size).

This is akin to the idea that if I'm zeroing in on a detail area of a drawing or painting on my desk, I might drag a watercup, or palette right to the edge of my paper if I'm interacting with it frequently, to save that extra second of moving my hand all the way across the desk (or all the way across my 21 inch monitor screen )

Anyways, I think you can get the idea if you read the suggestions I make , that Id really just like the Rage guys to recreate my drafting table for me, but you know, a lot cleaner . I hate having to grab and manipulate sliders that might be a pixel wide on the screen depending on the resolution, and yet equally abhor numerical inputs and over reliance on "hotkeys" when Im in "painting" mode.

I just want to be able to "stab and drag" at general ballpark areas on the screen with lots of room for error, and save all my concentration for the strokes. And above all, Id like the controls to be based around the ideas of real life brushing...every child intuitively understands the operation and effects of dipping a brush in a glob of paint/ink, and then a cup of water, and how different degrees of interaction with both make for different strokes on the paper.

ok, /armchair developer mode off

Thanks for all the great work on AR guys, keep it up. Cant wait for 3.0!