ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Vector Art

Vector Art

Hello All! I'm new to ArtRage. I downloaded the introductory 2.5 version, loved the easy user interface and recently bought the Studio Pro. I'm having fun finding my way around.

The reason for trying out ArtRage was because I found another (free) graphics program too hard to figure out. That and the pen and tablet I purchased didn't play well with it.

The kind of art I want to create is a "collection" of clip art-like images. Simple line art designs filled in with color and shading (not oils or watercolor). Kind of like the prepackaged scrapbooking themes you see at local craft stores. These collections could be for birthdays, graduations, holidays and so on. In order to send a collection to the printer, they require the images to be in Scalable Vector Graphics. Sadly, I found out too late that ArtRage doesn't save or export in that format.

With all the ArtRage wizards out there, I'm sure there are those that can tell me how to work around this issue. Can my work be exported to say, Inkscape and converted there? Or perhaps someone could offer a suggestion of another (free?) program that will do that for me? Do keep in mind that I am somewhat of a novice (as if you can't tell that already) at
    all of this. So it must be kept simple...

Something else (I'm sure there will be more)...if I create several separate flowers on a single page, but only want one, is there a way to crop or cut out the others? Or better yet, to highlight and copy the one I want to save.

Thanks for any and all help. It's appreciated.

>^..^<

I combine Inkscape and ArtRage often. In the most cases I use Inkscape to create raster or perspektive. The Inkscpape PNG export works really fine. But sometimes Inkscapes bitmap export parameters are a bit confusing. Especially if you don't want to scale in ArtRage.
    If you want to draw clipart like stuff check out the smoothing parameter of ink pen. In some situations I got better results with this tool than using vector applications (for instance for comic speec bubbles).

Good luck

I have version 8 of Deneba Canvas. It has been given away free on quite a few UK computer magazines over the past few years....

My copy was included on the cover CD for PC Advisor, Nov 2005... I tried Inkscape and found it confusing. Canvas IMHO has a simplier interface...

Canvas was recently purchased ny ACDSEE and is now part of their product line. The current version is 11....

http://store.acdsee.com/store/acd/en...=1264389328770

I also know last month and this month a few UK Computer mags had Serif's Draw app (ver 7) on their CD covers... If I remember I'll check the newsstands tomorrow at lunch hour and post back here...

PS: I'm in Canada and we usually get our UK mags like ImagineFX or DigitalArtist a month later....
    Last edited by kenmo; 01-25-2010 at 04:20 PM.

PS: You amy also want to take a peek at LiveBrush. It's touted to be a vector app... I've downloaded it a few weeks ago but forget all about it until now...There's a free version. The registered version costs a whooping $10.00....

http://www.livebrush.com/

Just found out about Scribus. There's Linux, Mac and Windows versions available.... Best of all it's FREE....

http://www.scribus.net/

Cheers

Ken

Made it to the news stand today.... It was too cold to go sooner...

PC Advisor issue #175 is on the stands in Canada. The cover disc includes a working copy of Serif Draw Plus...

Cheers

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by motherbear View Post
    ...Something else (I'm sure there will be more)...if I create several separate flowers on a single page, but only want one, is there a way to crop or cut out the others? Or better yet, to highlight and copy the one I want to save. >^..^<
    This is easy in AR. Use the select tool on the tools selector to select the area you want to copy, select copy and paste, and you'll create a new layer with only the selected area. Any select area will copy to the clipboard, so you can paste the select area into most other graphic programs as well. You can also use the select tool to select an area then use the transform tool to grab it and move it, change its shape and size, etc. It's quite easy. A review of this in the brilliantly simple PDF manual will get you up and running quite quickly - it's worth a few minutes review. The select and transform tools are simple, versatile and I suspect perfect for what you seem to be suggesting.

Have fun.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

I use XaraXtremePro for vector art,
    best way to use AR and XXPro in combination is they both import/export psd files with the layering intact.

Hans