ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Palette request - Sketchism

Palette request - Sketchism

Request:- A palette of colours derived from the works on this website:
    http://themonsterengine.com/artwork

Hey Sketchism, I created this thread to be able to show you what issues there are with using math to bang out a palette for these works and to offer some solutions that will deliver a 'best colour' result for you.

I've only used the 6 works in the monster images section for these examples.

As I can't post the artists intellectual property i'll be referring to the works as follows:-
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Here are what batch palettes for all 6 images would look like, one is a 64 colour palette and one 128.

And here are examples of a 64 colour palette derived from each individual image.

With these palettes its possible to see some of the problems. We are losing the brightest colours as they are influenced by the high contrasting darker ones. This is very evident in the 'image one' palette.

The images that have less stark contrast are producing values more reflective of the sourced image.

This is an issue for really getting that true to the artists colours results.

The software i use isn't looking at the works with any intelligence/discerning eye. It simply bases a colour for inclusion in the palette on how often/frequently it appears across an image. We are therefore picking out all the inbetween values that we dont want along with the brighter and darker values we do want.

A 'best' palette would be achieved if you could just use an eyedropper to grab the values you like.

I'm therefore going to recommend that for this particular instance it would be best to use the Just Colour Picker freeware utility. This will allow you to pluck any colour pixel off your monitor (even from live content such as flash or youtube video). Basically if you can see the colour you can grab it with this handy little PC utility. You can set it to be 'always on top' which makes it overlay any other open window.

You can download this application here:-
    http://annystudio.com/software/colorpicker/

Attached is an image that demonstrates most of its features:-
    Last edited by Juz; 01-25-2010 at 06:24 AM.

JUZ! You are absolutely amazing and brilliant! I figured his would be mostly dark because he seems to spare the brighter colors for a bigger impact in an area of interest. But the colors are still there and these will be extremely valuable in future works to attempt to capture the effects he achieves. His work absolutely proves the point that an interesting image is achieved mainly through color and value not subject.

Thank you, thank you thank you!!! I owe you big time. You are a wealth of knowledge, and a stand up member of this forum! Not that I have much to give but if you ever need a favor, I'm there for ya!

Thanks!

Off to checkout that software link!!!
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    Eckhart Tolle