ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Al Kratzer's Color Paintings Step-By-Step

Al Kratzer's Color Paintings Step-By-Step

Here's a quick tutorial that shows my method for painting in ArtRage. Many people have commented on my style, and at some point I'll do a post that will explain my thoughts on color and style and hopefull spark a discussion of the development of style. After seeing so many different approaches in these forums I think we could all gain a LOT of insight hearing how each other's style developed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1a tutorial.jpg 
Views:	884 
Size:	147.2 KB 
ID:	40489   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1b tutorial.jpg 
Views:	644 
Size:	184.2 KB 
ID:	40490   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1c tutorial.jpg 
Views:	503 
Size:	175.7 KB 
ID:	40491   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1d tutorial.jpg 
Views:	501 
Size:	226.3 KB 
ID:	40492   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1e tutorial.jpg 
Views:	388 
Size:	175.3 KB 
ID:	40493  

Continued

Last piece
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1f tutorial.jpg 
Views:	440 
Size:	206.4 KB 
ID:	40494  

P.S.

Sorry about the way this is split up -- click on the thumbnails and zoom in to full size in your browser to read the copy

Al

Wonderful approach, great result, love your use of hot and cold colour, thanks for sharing
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Awesome Al! Great tutorial, thank you!
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    Eckhart Tolle

As you know I love your work, a wonderful tutorial many thanks for adding it, glad you did. Now, this means I can have a go too

As for style, im struggling to keep one, I swap and change depending on how I feel. I wish I could just stick to one like you and get a little portrolio together.
    Last edited by Jules; 01-24-2010 at 11:42 PM.
    You can view all my other artwork here http://spookyjules.blogspot.co.uk/

Ok I did a similar style painting see bassist, I used a different technique though

I have been a big fan of your works down in After 9, and I agree with you, they have no offensive qualities, and hardly deserve to be sequestered down there!
    I was fascinated to see ( too much effort to read the tiny print!) how you do things. You make what is actually ( to me) a complex process look simple and fresh and, in a good way, easily done, as if you just took a brush and did it all freely in a few moments. Hardly the case!
    For those of us who just start tossing pixels at the screen and proceeds to see what happens, it is an interesting peek into what someone with an actual plan can come up with. The answer is wonderful stuff indeed.
    "If I could only learn to be humble, I would be so proud." Author Unknown.

Thanks Rob!

To see the tutorial copy, try clicking on the images in the post, they should then load in your browser. If they are still small, see if you can right click and zoom in (PC -- don't know how it works on a mac) Or, if your are really motivated, save the images to your local machine and then you should be able to view them in whatever is your usual JPG viewer.

My process is the outgrowth of a LOT of years chasing my style. (I'm going to do a follow up post on this soon). One of the qualities I love about seeing you and others here in the forum work by "tossing pixels" as you call it is that so much spectacular serendipity results! I should try that kind of play more myself!

Al

Dita Von Teaser

Ok, I had a go at your tutorial, took a little bit of figuring out, think I managed to get a similar style, but then, my own creativity took over. I followed the tutorial word for word.

Finished piece...Dita Von Teaser

Full scale image here http://bit.ly/8dDaQk
    Attached Images Attached Images