ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Installer?

Bad Installer?

Whenever I double click on an ArtRage .PTG file, instead of the program launching and loading the painting, the installer routine starts and attempts to re-install the software. If I launch ArtRage directly, I can open the file and work normally. Running Windows 7 AMD chip, 3 gig ram.
    (Only possible quirks about my installation I can think of is I had 2.5 installed and then the 3.0 trial. It was at this point that the problem began. Purchased version of 3.0 did not cure the issue.

Al

The problem probably relates to the Windows Installer having become confused about file associations.

If you uninstall any version of ArtRage you have, checking that after you do this your PTG files don't appear to be connected to any software, and then install ArtRage Studio again it should solve the problem. It's possible that because 2.5 had the file assocation originally something got confused in the OS.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Thanks -- I'll give it a try

I have the same problem.

On Windows XP SP3, I installed ArtRage Pro Studio 3.05 along side of ArtRage 2.5 and found that double-clicking *.ptg files initiates the program installation process. When I selected Open With ... from the context menu and picked "Always open with" ArtRage Studio Pro, the Artrage installer started running.

I uninstalled ArtRage 2.5 and ArtRage Studio Pro, and reinstalled Artrage Studio Pro 3.06.

I still have the problem of the installer starting whenever I double-click *ptg files. I can start ArtRage Studio Pro from the desktop icon and successfully drag a *.ptg file to the canvas.

This problem started with the installation of ArtRage Studio Pro 3.05. When I was running ArtRage 2.5, I could launch the program by double-clicking *.ptg files.

Thanks,
    -- Sam

Same problem here. It only seems to occur if I move the ArtRage directory elsewhere in the Start Menu (I prefer to keep it in a separate Art Utilities folder).
    Double clicking a .ptg file, then allowing it to 'reinstall' then creates the original ArtRage folder in the main Start Menu.

Easiest option to fix would be to have the installer give the option of where you want the Start Menu folder to be stored.

EDIT: Sorry, meant to say I tried the suggestion to delete all association with .ptg files but it didn't work. I'm running Win7 64.
    Last edited by Viking; 02-19-2010 at 02:40 AM.

What's happening here is that Windows keeps track of certain files associated with file associations and if it thinks that the application that mnages that file association is damaged it attempts to reinstall. When you are prompted to reinstall, check the version it's try to install because you may find it's trying to install 2.5.

The Studio/Pro installers shouldn't mind if you move the start menu folder but the origial 2.5 installer did have that issue.

If you uninstall all copies of ArtRage and run the Microsoft Installer cleanup utility (available from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301) then remove any reference to ArtRage that may have been left behind when the OS installer got confused, you should then be able to reinstall ArtRage and not have this problem. Unfortunately it's a fairly widespread issue with the Windows Installer, and while we've done some work on the Studio/Studio Pro installers to help with this, it's hard to avoid the tangles that sometimes happen when the OS is monitoring your application.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Thanks for the response but I tried that and there were no references to ArtRage in there at all. Didn't work I'm afraid. But yes, I did have 2.5 installed previously so that must be the problem.

If you uninstall everything then check that your Start menu doesn't contain any references to ArtRage (the shortcuts to the web site in particular), check your Program Files folder to make sure everything has been deleted, then install Studio Pro that should be a clean install and avoid this problem. I'm looking at some ways to work around the automated systems at the moment.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

My experience with installing 3.06 was different. I don't have problems between the two versions; however, it did cause my system to crash the second time I logged on to my computer. Error report sent to Microsoft indicated it was caused by a driver or software issue and 3.06 was the only change I had made to the system. Installed the program on Tuesday, this week.
    LogicsHere (Betty)
    http://bettylogic.50webs.com (Welcome to Betty's Place)
    http://logicmgmt.com/1876/splash.htm (1876 Victorian England Revisited)

Still no joy. Did everything you said. Even went into the registry to delete anything in there (and did find a stray ArtRage 2 entry) but after wiping everything that I could find (I searched anything with the word 'ambient' in it) it still doesn't play ball nicely.