ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Cleopatra mourning

Cleopatra mourning

Hey all,
    It all started with just a random sketch in oils, then i kept working on it and suddenly it reminded me of Cleopatra (and Naomi Campbell, sort of )
    so ended up pushing it in that direction.
    She seemed to be mourning the passing of Antony.
    Nice & rough oily strokes!
    so far so good.

Then, i got ambitious!

so ended up doing a pencil sketch on a layer on top of the existing oils.
    Refined the face structure to not look like Ms. Campbell so much and decided to give her a sort of middle eastern features.

I'm not working with any references whatsoever, so I'm sure there might be lots of oddities here. (I'm sure the neck is too long and a bit twisted, etc etc)
    but couldn't resist putting it up here for inviting comments, critique and suggestions.

here we go then..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cleo5colrez.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	414.0 KB 
ID:	40304   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cleo5sketchrez.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	390.8 KB 
ID:	40305  
    The more hair I lose, the more head I get.

Wow! Ambition suits you well. I love the dry brushed look you got with the oils. Very impressive.
    Early to bed early to rise makes a man stupid and blind in the eyes - Orson Scott Card

I like more the oil version, she has a particular charme and style... remembers me some kind of futuristic style. Nice!
    Umberto

@Gray, thanks so much.
    The dry brush is a square oil brush with loading@10%, pressure@0% thinners@75% just FYI
    @uuderzo, thanks, yes, I like the oil version too, and was planning to do similar oils on top of the pencil sketch. I'm not so sure about the features though.

This looks awesome fly guy! LOVE the sketch!! Well, both actually. The features on the oil look artistically dis-proportioned (if you know what I mean). That's a good thing. Gives it more interest!!! Well done!
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    Eckhart Tolle

Thanks Sketch.
    I know what you mean about the artistic dis-proportion. I like it too. but it was one of those happy accidents, not intended, and hence the quest for a conscious intervention (which failed I must add, since I tried to work with oils on the sketch and it just didn't have the 'feel' of the original work.)

Back to the drawing board, as they say