ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: dpi Settings

dpi Settings

I am curious to find out what settings other Artragers are using for their DPI settings. I have been going up to 300, but I am not sure this is really necessary. Suggestions? Thoughts?
    -Dave

Hello, Dave....here is an excellent post by Bryon on that exact subject regarding DPI. Take a look and see if you find what you're looking for here in regards to DPI and its importance is only for printing purposes....

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...light=printing

BTW....I usually create my artwork with 150 to 200 DPI but I haven't "printed" any of them yet. Some will advise at least 300 but others say 150 is just fine. It's one of "those" things as far as your personal preference and printing needs go....!!!

I usually paint at 150 (that's all the processing my little PC can take)! I use secondary software to increase the finished PNG to 300 dpi if I'm going to print.
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    Eckhart Tolle

300 for book and mag printing, 100 - 300 for posters. If you're not going to print, though, it's irrelevant what DPI you use.

So, I would guess if I was to just work with 300 just in case anyone ever wanted to print one of my images, then I should be okay. The ones I have uploaded to the gallery or in the forum have been 300 and the actual size in mb isn't that big. I will have to mess about some more I guess. Thanks for the responses.

P.S. Thanks Eileen for the link, somehow I missed that in my search.
    Last edited by DMerchen; 01-21-2010 at 05:06 AM.
    -Dave

If you're using ArtRage Studio / Studio Pro you can also see the actual print size based on your current document settings by going to Edit -> Resize the painting. When creating a new file you can also view this, to give you an idea of the actual physical size your image would be when printed.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Ahh...very helpful Dave. Still learning all of these new things. Thanks.
    -Dave