ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: change in opacity freezes brush

change in opacity freezes brush

While working on larger files I came across this 'bug'(?)

Any change to opacity makes the brushes (even the smallest ones) stall or freeze up on short frequent strokes.
    On long continuous it seems okay, just rapid strokes AFTER any opacity change to any of the layers starts to stall the brush.

Behaves fine after a restart.

The more hair I lose, the more head I get.

Could you let us know what operating system you're using, approximate dimensions of the file and number of layers if that has any effect on the behavior, as well as what tool you were using and what its settings were? That should help us to look at this locally.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Hi Dave,
    I am using windows XP service pack3.
    The file I could replicate this today is sized 2700X3600px and has four layers.

I usually face this with oil brush, but once it starts it happens with all tools even with really small size and change of settings didn't help.

for reference I normally a square oil brush @ 60-100 size, 10-12% loading 75% thinner, 0-100% pressure, instadry off, autoclean off.

thanks.

P.S. I could also replicate it in a file of 2000X2000px with two layers.
    Last edited by flyashy; 01-20-2010 at 08:42 PM.

Could you let me know what you are doing to change the opacity of the layers? There's one bug I think is solved in the next update that might affect this if it's done in certain ways.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Hi Matt,
    I'm using the little black spot/dial on the layer panel to change the properties.

Here's an odd request then: Next time you use the product could you try to repeat the problem, but instead of using the black spot could you click the layer thumbnail's menu button and select the layer opacity option from there, enter the new opacity and click ok.

Does the problem occur after that? I have a sneaking suspicion that it relates to a problem specific to certain buttons in the UI.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Hi Matt,
    I tried what you asked, and was able to replicate the problem after changing the opacity from the layer thumbnail menu button.
    But then I face a lot of lag while changing any of the buttons in the Sticker matrix. Of course unlike the opacity change the lag goes away when I close the matrix.

workaround

I just discovered a workaround to this problem.
    As suggested (in the moving layer thread by uuderzo)I turned off the lighting(f5) and it just so happened that the brush stopped freezing.(even after I turned on the lighting again)

So every time I do any changes to the layer opacity I have to hit F5 and the brush stops freezing.

The funny thing I discovered was that even if I had the lighting turned off I had to hit F5, turn it on before the brush stopped freezing, so I guess it's something to do with the way information is being processed and not just the extra load of lighting on the system resources.

I hope this helps in locating the source of problem..