ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Averaged color picker..

Averaged color picker..

I was just playing with GIMP a while back and I noticed it has an option of picking an averaged color (sample average 3px to 300px).

I think this would be a wonderful feature in artrage for two reasons, one it'll help blending those colors more efficiently and second it'll help blocking in colors esp while tracing colors from an image. As of right now, since it picks the color from the exact pixel there are so many cases of getting strange streaks of undesired colors.
    Of course the workaround to this is to blur the image to trace from, but it'd be nice to have the averaged sampling in AR.
    The more hair I lose, the more head I get.

Hi Flyashy... To get by in the interim....

Sweedie pointed out a great free filter called 'Pixellate' that averages values across a photo to form a palette in this thread:
    http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=24460

If you like what you see, you can download the free filter here:
    http://www.richardrosenman.com/software/downloads/

Last edited by Juz; 01-20-2010 at 07:05 PM.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Thanks so much Juz for the suggestions, I found some nice filters there

I've been extracting palettes from images using good ol MS paint as demonstrated by someonesane in a thread a while back.

What I was really wishing for is a on-the-fly kind of averaged color picker in stead of a single pixel.

It'd be so great for blending colors while painting and make subtle tonal variation happy accidents

Hey guys

I'm interested in this magic filter you speak of, and scanned the site of the link you provided, but could you just clear up exactly which plug-in filter I need to download for the colour picker?

Cheers in advance!
    This is what we find:
    The hope that springs eternal,
    Springs right up your behind.

cLuMsY_Joel's Flickr Portfolio

erm joel,
    there's no 'picker' filter, but there's a 'pixelation' filter that you can use to pixelate the image to extract a palette..

ah okie doke...cheers for that...I'll get on it.
    This is what we find:
    The hope that springs eternal,
    Springs right up your behind.

cLuMsY_Joel's Flickr Portfolio

Like you suggest an eyedropper that took a broad range of pixels and averaged them to a colour would be nice (might have issues if theres a lot of jpeg noise in the image)

In the meantime, while waiting for this option, you can get the pixelate filter do do much the same thing but not near as quick and easy.

Just manually select the area you wish to average with the selection tool (this selection can be smaller or larger depending on how many pixels you want to factor into your average) and then set the filter to a high number... the higher the number the less colours (see attached)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Juz; 01-20-2010 at 08:38 PM.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

thanks Juz,
    I'll try this. I usually blur the image with gaussian blur to retain the form of the original. Also it's because of the jpg noise that I find the need of this kind of averaging more than ever

of course this works only with tracing images and not with painting straight off. I don't like to blur too much with straight paint, but would like to have the 'between' shades to make the colors appear well blended.

hmm..maybe stickers might work if they could be made to pick colors from pixels around the original..