ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Violin Painting Plus a digital/analog comparison

Violin Painting Plus a digital/analog comparison

This is my latest ArtRage work -- a recreation of an acrylic I did a few months back. I will follow this with a comment post showing the comparison of the two.

Violin in Art Rage

Latest Version
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Comparisons

1. Original reference photo. 2. Reference photo manipulated in Photoshop and Painter. I generally work in numerous layers, each one pushed to one of the primary or secondary colors. (Think: a red violin, a blue violin, and orange violin, etc.) A multicolored version is created through a combination of erasing to reveal layers and direct painting. This is brought into Painter to be run through brushstroke filters or auto painting process to further unify the piece. 3. Hand painted acrylic on canvas. I set up the monitor next to my easel an paint. At a certain point I turn off the monitor to force myself to deal with the painting itself and bring it together. 4. ArtRage version -- I brought the acrylic version into ArtRage and used a combination of tracing and direct painting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	violin process.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	144.3 KB 
ID:	40117  

This is fantastic! I have to say, the traditional version is exquisite! The artrage version does a fantastic job of simulating the traditional much more than the photoshop/painter version. Fantastic experiment with excellent results. Well done Al!
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    — Eckhart Tolle

Thanks Eddie

I appreciate the comments. I was immensely impressed by ArtRage 2's interface, but not so much the functionality. I did buy a copy just to show my appreciation for the interface work, but never used it to do anything finished.

I love the smoothing pen effect in version 3 and the oil brushes "feel" better to me (maybe it's running it on Windows 7 instead of XP/Vista or maybe it's improvements to the brush engine). The Pen tool has me thinking a LOT more about trying to incorporate expressive lines into my work.

Al

Nice comparisons. The strings really pop in the ArtRage version. Good job.
    My DeviantArt Gallery #DArtRage Group My ArtRage Gallery

Nothing exists until or unless it is observed. An artist is making something exist by observing it. And his hope for other people is that they will also make it exist by observing it. I call it "creative observation." Creative viewing. - William S. Burroughs

Fantastic painting, love it
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

This is just stunning, alkratzer! I love all of the rainbow of colors you used on this violin. It somehow makes it magical! I also like the comparisons that you made for this piece as well. How interesting it all is and to see that your traditional work and the ArtRage version are equally beautiful!

Very powerful and bold! Great work alkratzer.