ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Another Fantasy Painting...

Another Fantasy Painting...

Please be welcome to give your opinion, advice, etc...
    Specially about how the clothes look
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DarkGoddessFinal04.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	358.7 KB 
ID:	40111  
    Portfolio
    http://freealchemist.weebly.com/index.html

"It can't rain all the time" - Eric Draven

The overall feeling is cool, the caracter looks stable (sorry, poor vocabulary here, I mean that the pose looks balanced ... ) and the colors are great.
    Regarding the clothes, I like a lot the effect on the left part (left part for us, right part for her), but otherwise I think that the folds on the clothes may need some improvement (maybe take some picture reference on the web).
    To be honnest your drawing is better than mine, but you were asking for some constructive critique, so I took the liberty to do so. This does not removes any quality to your drawing, it is a great one.

How the clothes look? In a word: flat.

If you were after a flat plastic cutout look, you've succeeded. If not... well, try to think about what you draw as a volume in three dimensions, not as a contour on paper. It helps.

The site at fineart.sk has textbooks by Andrew Loomis. I sugges you go look at "Fun with the Pencil", "Successful Drawing" and "Figure Drawing".

While the airbrush is a lot of fun for smooth appearances, it isn't always the best tool for the job. Clothes have wrinkles, yes. The wrinkles are best shown in images by painting the shapes of the shadows, yes. But using an airbrush on them won't usually get you the sharp lines that creases sometimes make, and I think that's why the clothes look so flat. Of course, there are always geniuses out there who can airbrush the texture on a fly's wing and get away with it, but that artist is not me.

Aside from that though, I love magic, and this is pretty cool. The effects around the staff are sweet, and the butterfly really touches that sense of fantasy off just perfectly. The texture in the background of the image is sweet as well. How did you do that? It's great!
    Early to bed early to rise makes a man stupid and blind in the eyes - Orson Scott Card

Thanks everyone for answering!
    That was really helpful.
    I'll try to do something with the clothes.

And the background was made from an "old paper texture" found in the net, the fabric based I guess...
    Portfolio
    http://freealchemist.weebly.com/index.html

"It can't rain all the time" - Eric Draven