ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Please tell me how to fill a closed shape in a single step

Please tell me how to fill a closed shape in a single step

I'm having problems with the fill tool of ArtRage 3 Studio Pro, not doing what I want. I hope one of you can help me make things easier.

When I fill a closed outline with the fill tool, there is pretty much in all cases a thin white line between the outline's inner edge and the filled area. The only workaround I did find is to draw with the ink pen tool with the preset "No Antialiasting". This gives me a pixelated line, and if the shape is closed, its inside can be filled without the unwanted additional thin white line. However, when I select a closed shape (e.g. an eye), copy and paste it, then the pasted shape is anti-aliased again, and a fill gives me an unwanted result when I use the fill tool. I have to redo the eye in a layer on top, erase the original shape and merge the layer with the newly drawn shape with the old layer. That's just too many steps for me.

I know from people who use Corel Painter, that this program doesn't have these issues. It recognized that a shape is closed and fills it without the thin white line.

Is there something I can do within ArtRage to accomplish the same effect with the fill tool, so I can use more brushes than the single one I'm confined to now? I would prefer it to be one step (or a setting in the Preferences), maybe two. The other suggestions I found through a search on this forum involved just too many steps, and took me out my creative zone (I tried some of them).

Hi Purplebox, you could try adjusting the 'spread' setting in the top right of the settings panel for the fill tool. A low setting will give less coverage and a high one more coverage.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

That was the solution, thanks. If I crank up the spread of the fill tool to 99 percent, I get what I want, even if I created an outline with a brush.