ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Sticker Transparency Issue

Sticker Transparency Issue

I've attached images to demonstrate my issue.

Image one shows the two files i'm using to create one sticker with a colour map and a metal map. Both are surrounded by complete transparency.

Image two shows my setup in the new sticker dialog.

Image three and image four show how i'm not getting a completely transparent area around the sticker.

My question is why might this be occurring ?

PS/ I do have a workaround .... just wondering why the sticker creation is behaving this way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ghosting01.png 
Views:	191 
Size:	108.7 KB 
ID:	40075  
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Juz; 01-17-2010 at 08:47 PM.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

This is happening because your Metallic Map has a white background, which tells the sticker that there is data in the rectangular area rather than complete transparency (metallic data). If you place the object (I recognise that type of object!) against a black background you won't get the large rectangular area.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Ah ok we dont have alpha support in the metallic maps... makes sense... thanks Matt
    Can the alpha be indexed to black in a future version instead of white ?
    (I recognise that type of object!)
    Hehee... damn fine plugin Matt
    Last edited by Juz; 01-18-2010 at 04:13 PM.

The metallic map gives the amount of reflectivity in the sticker. Where the map is black there is no reflectivity, where it is white there is full reflectivity (and the grey scales are all the amounts of reflectivity between 'none' and 'all')
    The metallic map isn't *what* is reflected, it sets which parts of your sticker are reflective. The reflective parts reflect the ArtRage environment map (which is an image of a room).
    So the non-reflective parts of the metallic map need to be black.

In general you want to use the metallic map in partnership with a 'texture' map - the texture map in ArtRage stickers define the surface contour of the sticker.

It's worth noting that you can have transparent metallic stickers - areas which have shininess and metallics, but have transparency in their colour maps tend to look like transparent plastic, or glass.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Ok so in order to maintain the metallic quality but have it red i would need to put a solid white copy of this shape (or a solid grey value) with black surround in the 'metal' map area and use this metal greyscale map i have as bump map in the 'texture' map area for the heights (i'm guessing this texture map also needs to be set against black?) along with a solid red for 'colour' map as i have now ? (See attached image)

Would i just get better metal by putting the two maps i have in layers, red one on the top layer with an overlay blend, merge and then just use that as my colour map ? Or by duplicating the metal and filling with the bucket set to red with blend mode Overlay on the bucket tool? This would keep control of the reflection map in my hands.
    Last edited by Juz; 01-18-2010 at 06:16 PM.

That's the more correct usage of the maps, yes.
    Having the metallic map white for everywhere 'inside' the sticker will make it entirely metallic, and having the greyscale map as a surface contour map will give a surface which can react with the ArtRage environment map.

It probably still wont have given you the result you desire, though. The surface contour map ('texture') in the sticker creator is more a Z-Buffer in 3D renderers. It is a height map. So lighter greys are closer to you, darker greys are further away. (Was there an option to export the Z-buffer from Frax 4D?)

As you then point out, you might just get a better result if you just tint the original object red and use it as a flat sticker.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Thanks for all your time and help on this Matt.
    No export of the z-buffer from Frax4d that I can find... can do that in 3dmax though.
    The quick and dirty tint approach seems to be working ok... highlight has blown out a bit but i'll keep fiddling and see if I can get a good result.
    Attached is the result of tinting with the paint bucket set to overlay fill... not too shabby.... would then have to use the adjust colours to bring back the red saturation so the colours didn't go too astray when selecting new ones to paint with on the sticker. Would have worked better if my metal was a true greyscale instead of the blue tint i have here which has obviously cooled the reds
    Last edited by Juz; 01-18-2010 at 06:42 PM.

Layer overlay seems to be the way to go... Now to crank out some nice Frax4D stickers/brushes for the community
    Last edited by Juz; 01-18-2010 at 06:54 PM.