ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Preset indicator vanishes

Preset indicator vanishes

I have a memory problem. No, not with AR but my own memory, and I need all the help that I can get. They say it's an age thing. Cheek!

Any hoo, joking aside, my question is, when I pick a preset item for one of the tools, say oil brush, it highlights in the pick list so I know which preset I am using. However, when I then want to flip to, say, a pallet knife, then come back to the oil brush, after some time of doing this backward and forward I forget which preset I am using. I then decide to look on the preset pick list for the selection I made, supposing it was the "Normal Square" and the banner highlighting it is no longer there as an indicator, it has vanished, along with my memory. See what I mean, I have a memory problem. All I want to do is go back to an effect that I may have been using before, without ruining the painting before I find the effect again.

What I want to know is; how am I going to remember which preset I am using if the indicator keeps on disappearing? or Is there somewhere else that I can look as a second check to confirm the preset that I picked?
    TeresaW
    My Art blog can be found here and
    PaperTree's Images in the ArtRage Gallery can be found here.

Hey, Teresa...you're not alone in your memory problem! I have that same exact problem, too! Whenever I select a preset for a particular tool and go to another tool and back again, I don't have the preset highlighted and then I struggle to remember what I had it set on! Sometimes, I am not too successful either! It must be one of those small "bugs" that we can petition those wonderful ArtRage guys to look into and fix for us short-term memory people!!!

3. Be aware, whenever one changes the tool-size, the indicator disappears...
    (it seems to work only with the default sizes...?)

Regards
    Nolan
    Last edited by nolanscott; 01-17-2010 at 12:07 PM.

When you change the size of the tool, your settings no longer match the preset that was selected so the highlight vanishes.

We'll be looking in to preserving the highlight betwee tool switching in the future however.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Eileen724: Yay! I'm not going mad after all, hahaha!

nolanscott: Oh yes, you are right, I have just tried it out.

MattRage: Thanks ever so much Matt. If there was another place to use as a second check, say for instance I choose a preset (square brush) then change the size of the tool and the indicator disappears. I then know that the preset has been changed somehow but I don't know how. If I then go to maybe the "Settings" of the tool, you could have a title button of the preset name (square brush) so I know what I am using. All the changed settings I have made will be visible and changable and if you then press the reset button you can get the preset back to how it was when you picked it in the first place. Alternatively, if you have the name of the preset that you chose then you can choose to pick it again from the preset pick list if you like and get back to the original settings that way too. It is always handy to have two ways of doing the same thing.

Don't know if that makes any sense at all what I just said, but it would also be good if the reset would work with presets that you make yourself as well. Just a thought, you know best. I'm sure in the meantime, I can jot down notes on a layer with the text tool, to remind myself. Sometimes there is quit a lot of time that goes by before I go back to a painting and having a notes layer helps me remember where I was. It's remembering to write it down that's the problem!
    TeresaW
    My Art blog can be found here and
    PaperTree's Images in the ArtRage Gallery can be found here.

Related Requests

Yes also, if the name of the preset (regardless of user fine tune adjustments) could be displayed in the title bar, as mentioned in a separate suggestions post recently. This would tell me the preset name even when the pod is in minimized form

The ability to rename and alphabetize the subsequent order of presets would be very cool also!
    If I were marooned on a desert island, please air drop me a copy of Artrage 5.0! (Plus a laptop and solar panel)