ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Forum Categories?

Forum Categories?

Hey Ragers!

Since the release of AR3 I think we all can say this forum has become quite a bit busier (that is a good thing ). Especially to some of you members that have been here from the beginning. The upside of a busy forum is the amount of artwork to view...The downside of a busy forum is the amount of artwork to view! lol!

Artwork posted in the "commenting" Gallery section is flying through so quickly I feel like a lot is being missed. If I miss a day or two, it is near impossible to go back and find what has come through and even more impossible to comment on all of it.

Just curious, perhaps if we split the "commenting" Gallery section into art categories i.e. People, animals, floral, landscapes etc... or Watercolor, oil, ink, crayon, it would help slow down the movement of posts disappearing to the back pages of the forgotten...lol!

Just an idea I thought I would throw out there for y'all to comment on!

Thanks
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    Eckhart Tolle

I do agree about the viewing the inline images is a tedious job to keep up with(the art people place in the thread/post itself)
    If people would do it like this;
    Upload it to the gallery(topmenu) and copy the <bb image> code after the uploading.
    And place this inside the post you want to show in the gallery forum.
    Now the viewers only need to open the gallery(topmenu)
    Click on what's new and select the amount of days of their liking.

Hans

----------------------------

Sketchism, I dont know what the solution is, but youve definitely hit on a recent problem in the forum. Its virtually impossible to keep up anymore. Ive stopped commenting so much because of this. I dont want to offend anyone by seeming to overlook their work. I agree that greater traffic is both a plus (always great to see new folks and their work) and a minus (hard to keep up).

Another recent phenomena (as in it rarely happened before) is there is an increasing number of folks asking for help with other programs (CS4, Painter, whatever). Maybe there could be a thread for non-AR questions so we could distinguish between them. That might eliminate some of the clutter. (Im not talking about hybrid approaches using AR and some other program. Weve seen so many great things using this approach. That is totally within the bounds of the forum. However, there are questions that have nothing to do with AR in any way.)

Youve raised a good point.
    Last edited by ScottF; 01-17-2010 at 10:32 AM.
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

I'm with you Sketch with maybe categorizing the posts! It wouldn't matter to me how they are (by subject, art medium, etc.) just so they are done the most complimentary for this forum. I have my profile set to view the maximum number of posts per page (40 posts) and that doesn't even help the current situation! Maybe, we can ask if that maximum can be increased to 100 posts per page or something to that degree. Another request is to ask any Rager who's posting more than one piece of artwork in one day to post in just one thread. It's a lot easier for all to view them in one thread and comment to all of them accordingly. With some doing this, I've noticed that this causes others who post only one painting to fall off that first page within the hour of them posting it.

I try my best to go to the previous pages of the gallery and pick out those that only have one or two posts due mostly to being bumped off the first page before most can view their artwork. Then, of course in doing so, I start bumping off the more current ones off the first page as I post to the older posts! Such a dilemma!!!

Hey Guys, I am in complete agreement.. I can't keep up with all the posts.. Meaning I can't comment on all of them.. I feel bad about that because there are so many wonderful paintings that I just view and not comment on.. I feel like I am slighting people, especially some of my old friends on the forum.. In return, I post my paintings, but I realize that I am not the only one that is overwhelmed with the traffic.. So I don't feel slighted if there are fewer comments.. That said, I enjoy this place, and will continue to lurk and view and sometimes comment..
    Click Upper Right To Visit My Gallery

Sketch, you nailed it. To tell you the truth I pretty much see almost all the posts. But it is impossible to comment all of them.

Great comments and suggestions. I know the Rage team has been super busy lately with the release of AR3 and if I remember correctly, one of them mentioned working on the forum after the dust from the release settled (or maybe I dreamed that...not sure).

Perhaps it would be beneficial for them to hear suggestions from everyone on ways that would help preserve the educational, motivating, friendly community this forum has become yet have the ability to grow as more people find this awesome program.
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    Eckhart Tolle

Dont think you dreamed it Sketch. I remember a post saying something like that. However, I think theres still a bit of dust to settle before worrying about forums.
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

Many good ideas above!
    Perhaps Forum & Categorisation could be arranged (within Gallery area) as follows
    (Just some thoughts to bounce round etc)

100% ArtRage
    Sub genre
    A
    B
    C
    etc

At least 80% Art Rage (Up to 20% other input)
    Sub genre repeated as above
    A
    B
    C

Hybrid (Less than 80% AR)
    • AR and other Paint / Bitmap progs
    • AR and Vector
    • AR and Photographic
    • Misc (AR and combo of 2 or more of above)
    (ABC type sub sub genre within each sub genre)

Typical ABC Genre might include at least (including horizontal cross links to same)
    • Absurd
    • Alpine
    • Animals
    • Abstract
    • Black and White
    • Caricature
    • Cartoon
    • Challenge (Example Red Spot)
    • Coffee Cup
    • Fantasy
    • Floral
    • Greeting Card
    • Historical
    • Landscape (Alpine)
    • Landscape (Non wilderness)
    • Landscape (Wilderness - wild and uninhabited areas left in natural condition)
    • Ocean
    • Optical-illusion
    • People
    • Photo-realism
    • Space
    • Spiritual
    • Sport
    • Surrealism
    • Urban
    • Vehicle
    + many others Im sure (please add)

100 Posts per page option is most desirable and would save some bandwidth I suspect

PS
    Have had minimal spare time lately, am looking forward to posting comments elsewhere maybe next week etc
    Last edited by iceaxe; 01-17-2010 at 02:33 PM.
    If I were marooned on a desert island, please air drop me a copy of Artrage 5.0! (Plus a laptop and solar panel)

I agree about keeping up with the posts. I had to only comment on a few each time.
    On the other hand, take a look at Wet Canvas. They have so many different directions to go and categories that things and people get lost.
    I know there is a mid place but don't know where to find it. Maybe when you get past so many people, some of them begin to get lost and the forum just isn't so close anymore.
    I guess that is what happens when a small town where everyone knows everyone grows to a city where people don't know the people down the street.
    Something to think about.