ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Pen sensitivity

Pen sensitivity

Hi,

I wonder how settings I must use to obtain such sensitivity :

This is draw in TabletDraw, and when I try to have the same in AR with the Ink Pen tool I get :

I can't have the same range of pressure. The top one has pressure to 45% and the bottom has 0%.
    The response curve of the pressure and the speed is not the same and I don't find speed response settings.
    Actually what I would like is to redefine those curves, maybe choose between linear, logarithmic, exponential ...
    AR 3.0.8/MacBookPro 2.4Ghz 4Gb RAM/NVidia 8600M GT 256Mb/MacOS 10.6.4/Wacom Bamboo

Try this: Ink Pen, Click 'Reset', set 'Pressure' to around 3% (which reduces overall values of the pressure curve) and paint. The stroke in this screenshot was produced like that (with smoothing up higher to get rid of the niggles in the path!). Set the brush size high (100% in this case). You can get very similar results from the default settings but you need a much more precise hand for that.

If that doesn't work, check your tablet pressure settings, I'm just using the default settings for my Wacom drivers with no tilting towards either the Smooth or Hard edge of the scale).
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

With your settings I can't get the same as showed.
    But when I change my tablet settings to "hard" ("ferme" in french), I get quite the same but the response curve is more linear so I have to release more the pressure and earlier to get the thin aspect.
    Also I have to set the smoothing setting to around 80%, otherwise I can see straight parts in the curve.
    AR 3.0.8/MacBookPro 2.4Ghz 4Gb RAM/NVidia 8600M GT 256Mb/MacOS 10.6.4/Wacom Bamboo

It's possible that your tablet pressure range means you will need to tweak the settings slightly, I'm using an Intuos 3 so I'm not entirely sure how the pressure ranges relate. You will need to experiment with your tablet settings and the Pressure value in ArtRage to find the right pressure range for how your strokes are pressing on the surface of the tablet.

Straight lines can occur at any smoothing value if the stroke is tending towards straight to begin with. Could you post a screenshot of the stroke showing the straight lines so I can see?
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

I set the tablet to "hard" which is the maximum hard. I'll see ...

This is Ink Pen at 0% smoothing, size 31% :

The same in TabletDraw :

I am not saying that TabletDraw is the best than AR is all areas, they are not the same applications. It's just to have a reference of how smooth a stroke can be (with default settings in TabletDraw).
    Actually, the smoothing parameter in AR is quite useful and I'm wondering why it is not a common parameter of all tools.
    Last edited by groumpf; 01-19-2010 at 12:04 PM.

Smoothing relies on post-processing the stroke and for strokes that interact with other media on the canvas this isn't possible. For example, an oil stroke that blends with other paint and smears as it is applied would have to recalculate all of the blending and smearing if the stroke was reconstructed. This additional complexity to the way the paint tools work is why the basic tools don't do additional point smoothing as they are applied.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.