ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vista sleep tablet pressure problem

vista sleep tablet pressure problem

If I put my Vista Home Premium system to sleep, and then wake it up, the system no longer accepts pressure values that my tablet sends it. Rebooting solves the issue, but the computer is old enough that rebooting takes a while, and it's much faster for me if I can just let the thing sleep and then wake it up when I need it. Other programs (inkscape, photoshop) on the computer respond to pressure settings from the tablet in post sleep, so the problem is probably not with the tablet. I've seen several other programs (Ubisoft Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, winXP pro) react differently after sleep as well across several different systems. I think the Windows Sleep setting is a little weird.

My System specs: (Dell Inspiron 1501 notebook)
    CPU: AMD Turion TL-56
    MOBO: Dell 0UW744
    GPU: ATI Radeon Xpress 1150
    RAM: 1917MB DRAM DIMM unknown speed. (ddr2. probably base.)
    Tablet: Wacom Bamboo Fun (Model CTE-650)
    Vista Home Premium 6.0.6002 (service pack 2)
    DirectX 10.0
    OpenGL 6.0.6000.16386
    Artrage 3.05 Studio (not pro.)
    Early to bed early to rise makes a man stupid and blind in the eyes - Orson Scott Card

Quick question on this: If you close ArtRage before sleep then reopen it after sleep does that solve the problem? If not then it sounds like there's something about the information the tablet system is sending that is changing when the system is put to sleep. That will let us look in the right kind of area when trying to find a solution.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

That's what happens. I put the computer to sleep, wake it up, open AR3, and the pen tool doesn't react to pressure changes. It works in ON/OFF mode. It detects contact and position, but draws with pressure at 100%
    Early to bed early to rise makes a man stupid and blind in the eyes - Orson Scott Card

Hiya Matt...

I'm experiencing this problem without the sleep function.

I simply have no pressure sensitivity in AR3.05 at all.

When I open AR2.5 at the same time, I have full pressure sensitivity there. None in 3.

I'm using an Asus R1E tablet pc running Win Vista Business SP2.

My guess is that it has something to do with the Win 7 settings that AR3 uses. I had some really odd behaviour in the beginning, when I first installed 3. The settings out of the box had multitouch on by default. And this behaviour seeeeeems related.

Any help?

Thanks!

Blue skies
    Roy
    ROY BLUMENTHAL

Visual Facilitator: http://royblumenthal.com/portfolio

ArtRage 3.5.5 and 4.0.4 on:
    Fujitsu T901, Asus R1E

If the app isn't detecting pressure when launched after the machine has been put to sleep it sounds like a service isn't behaving properly and that's causing confusion inside the ArtRage system.

The solution probably relates to a combination of Multitouch and Ink Service settings (this probably goes for the loss of pressure without Sleep as well) - Different hardware combinations with different driver combinations can create unusual situations and because we support some of the more precise input methods rather than just using the basic tablet system the app can get confused. Try turning off Ink Services if they are on (Input pane of the Preferences panel), or switching Precise Tablet Mode.

Turning off Multitouch may also help.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Hi Matt....

I should have mentioned in my post that I've tried EVERY combo of the various input device options that there is, and I still cannot get ANY pressure sensitivity from my stylus.

While running 2.5 concurrently, I get full pressure sensitivity on 2.5, and none on 3.05.

It's pretty frustrating, cos pressure sensitivity is an integral part of my style. There must be something in the innards somewhere preventing me from using it properly.

How can we progress this?

Blue skies
    Roy
    ROY BLUMENTHAL

Fujitsu T901, Asus R1E

This might relate to a bug in 3.0.5 that prevents the 'Ink Services' checkbox appearing correctly. If you try it and it doesn't work, go back to the Preferences panel and click the Ink Services toggle, then OK the change and restarat the app. That may help, even though the ink services toggle has reset itself when you restart.

That problem should be fixed in 3.0.6.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Hiya Matt...

Thanks for the response.

I'm really not sure what I need to do as per your instructions.

Could you maybe re-send, but in point form?

Must ink services be toggled to 'ON' of 'OFF'?

I really have tried EVERYthing I can think of to get it to work, but it just ain't making a difference.

Do you have any idea when 3.06 might be out? I've got a huge visual facilitation 3-day gig coming up Wed, Thurs, Fri, and I'd love to use 3 rather than 2.5. But hey. I love 2.5 too.

Blue skies
    Roy
    ROY BLUMENTHAL

Fujitsu T901, Asus R1E

No problem, it is a bit confusing!

The problem is that the ink services button always shows Ink Services as On when you start the 3.0.5. So even if you turn it off, then restart, it will show On. This makes it hard to know if you have it turned on or off.

Step by step you would need to:

1. Start the app and see if it has the pressure problem.

2. If it does, go to the Preferences panel and set the Ink Services toggle to Off.

3. Restart the app and see if that helps.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Thanks for the clarity, Matt. Gave it another try... Nogo... Pressure doesn't work for me in this build.

Blue skies
    Roy
    ROY BLUMENTHAL

Fujitsu T901, Asus R1E