Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need advice...

Thank you, everyone...
    I've decided to stay in university
    Who knows, maybe someday I'll be able to put together my love to art and abilities in programming
    I'm not bad at mathematics, I just feel I won't need that at all, but if it is necessary, I'll have to learn through...
    I'll treat it as an obstacle on my way forward
    There are always difficulties in life...
    Maybe I was too weak to pass through them, but it's OK - I'm trying to get stronger now

Thanks a lot!

(a day ago my roommate suggested to try on making a fan-game for manga "Blame!" - maybe that would be a good practice for me before serious deeds )

If you're going down the self-study art route, I think it's worth showing your pictures to people (e.g. on these forums, or to artists working in the field) and getting their feedback on how to develop to a level where you start to do it for a living.

Stay in school if you can! Maybe at first you may not be happy, but a degree is something you can always show to future employers--and they do take notice. You can always work your art around your studies if that´s what´s important to you.

That aside, the arts are probably the most satisfying part of one´s life. The problem is that they seldom pay enough to keep you alive in a way that you´d like to live. I worked as a musician while I was at the university, and it was far more pleasant than my life as a student. However, I began to notice that most of the "old" guys I worked with (around 40) were making the same money at that age that I was at 18. No security, no benefits, no retirement plan--all those things that when you´re young don´t seem to matter. They will. I remember a bluegrass band who were incredible musicians. The name of their band: "Don´t Give Up Your Day Job." Guess that says it all.

At any rate, good luck!!!
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Null View Post
    Thank you, everyone...
    I'm not bad at mathematics, I just feel I won't need that at all, but if it is necessary, I'll have to learn through...
    Maybe you will never need math directly. But trust me, even if you think you forgot everything, by studying math you give to your mind an opening. Think about it like it's studying philosophy, only a bit different .

I'm happy to see that you decided to stay with your initial choice. Good luck!
    Umberto

Hi Null,
    Glad to hear that you decided to stick to education.
    I just thought I'd suggest you take a look at fractal geometry.
    It's Mathematics and it's Art.
    I recently came across some fabulous software that generate fractal imagery based on formulas, and also the latest achievement of a 3D Mandelbrot from on DA. Having not too much expertise in maths all i can do is play with it, but I can't really tap the full potential there.
    Just have a look at them, you might find that you could combine your mathematics expertise to generate great art.

All the best to you.
    The more hair I lose, the more head I get.

Interest Deviated from regular working

If you continuously follow one line it is natural that a day will come when you feel not to do it. As you are in regular job, it is not good for you to leave job. If any new interest arising in you, it is very good on your part. You should try to get perfect in that for this you can take few days rest from your regular work. This will really a mind booster to you.

Good Luck in your new efforts

The easiest solution to your problem is to transfer to a graphic design school perhaps and study what you already love to do. As long as you are involved in creative work, you will feel better. As a general rule, business studies are totally opposite of creative studies.

I can tell you from experience that the only failure in life worth being concerned about is the failure to find and become that which you are meant to be. With that said, you're expectations seems a little unrealistic and that could set you up for disappointment. You asked about what direction you should take to earn money early in your pursuit of art. If you are expecting to earn a living from art when, admittedly you have little experience with art you will probably be disappointed. You need to discover what it is you have to say. What moves you to paint and draw. You have to paint what you love and then find someone who wants to pay you for it. That is the trick. Yes you can take on commissions painting things just to make some money. But that will likely not be the driving force behind your work and will get as old and tiring as study things in university you are not interested in. I think RobertSWade had a lot of very good advice.
    Last edited by jmac; 10-23-2015 at 01:14 PM.

Since this is a 5 year old thread, but a perennial topic we're all facing in general, I'll just very briefly put in my 2 cents for anyone who is in this situation (and this is merely my opinion and a bit of a ramble as the thoughts occur to me):

Stats show people go through several careers in their lifetime these days. You'll probably have to learn to hustle yourself at anything you do. Learn many things and don't get stuck being too linear. If you're using becoming an artist as a way to hide from being practical, you'll be facing it later where you'll be older with few, if any, marketable skills. Learn something that draws income for you and learn to handle your money. Art will by necessity become a business. Sort of takes the romantic gauze off the lens, doesn't it.

Even as an artist, people hire based on you, your proving yourself, your skills, your attitude and personality, your ability to function in all capacities and your track record. If you show yourself being able to complete what you start, that's one plus to your being hired (or if you're independent, you'll have to complete things without someone pushing you). If you become an artist and thereafter need to find a job in the world, the people doing the hiring will likely see you as impractical and someone who can be exploited. That's not always the reality, but you have to work on your business sense and what kind of leverage you're creating for yourself to be able to command higher money.

People in all disciplines drop out of school all the time in favor of an opportunity that presents itself in the business world. Those people are essentially not running from anything, but rather running to something. It's not an escape, it's a drive. Becoming an artist when you're on your own is really tough.

Like so many things now in the world, there's a glut of artists and pre-existing works of art. Just take a tour of the internet. You'll be competing against every artist, every stockpiled piece of art that gets sold over and over at prices that are rock bottom. The preciousness of art isn't in the art, it's generally in where you can sell a service, as an employee or not. One is generally serving a bigger team. The people who are running the show will exploit you to work long hours because you are young and willing.

People skills is what this world's about for the most part.

If you become an artist and you discover you don't like it, it's very uncertain that you will have a skill that you can roll over into a different job because your marketable skill is considered secondary.

You can always do art on the side. Then see if you can make money at it. If you're thinking in terms of art being a business, you stand a chance of surviving through it. Look at where artists can make money. To make money at art, you have to become a machine and crank out a hell of a lot of it.

The best piece of advice that anyone can give to a young person starting out is something my son learned very early on. When you get hired, find out what the boss wants and give it to them.

Whatever you choose to do, learn cooperation and keep your eye out for opportunities until you become the boss. If you're thinking of becoming an entrepreneur, learn everything because your real education begins when you leave school. If you leave as a graduate, you have something that shows you can complete what you begin. Hopefully you will be getting something from school. If you're not, you need to regroup and pick something that is in line with where you want to go.

The world is capricious. Art is sort of iffy as a career unless you find the place where money can be made at it.

In this world, if you get a job and you can keep it, great. Congratulations. You found it. But many people always keep an eye out for their next job, their next opportunity. If you become an artist, it's very likely you will get to the point of seeing it as a career with all the stuff that goes with having a career -- opportunities, income, money management, and building a life.

Your experience will be unique to a large extent, and don't use art as a way to avoid adult things in the world. Intelligent and practical artists have a higher chance of survival. If you're the best artist in the world and you have no mind for business, unless you're incredibly lucky, you'll be taken advantage of in ways you can't even imagine until it's knocking at your door.

As with everything where there's money flowing through it, there are those who do very well. But those people are strong in several areas. There is no "Art Only" part of life, for the most part. If someone says that's what they are a professional artist, or points to someone else who has "made it" as an artist, scratch the surface and you will see that's not all of the story by far. That's merely the sexy sound byte for gallery opening conversations.

Art has a lot to offer someone in developing aspects of who they are. Without a doubt. It's a club that's not above jealousy. It's a prestigious title for hopeless romantics. If you're an artist, expect to become a salesman and performer because you'll be in the public eye. Sure, it's also a way to make money, but Art doesn't sell itself. And there are lots of people in the world who would gladly take their piece of you, whether they deliver their side of the bargain or not. Be cautious. Be aware. I know it's hard to know which direction to go without having been around the block a few times. At 19 one has lived a sheltered life where people have told you what to do most of your life. Take it slow and open your mind to possibilities and alternatives. Being an artist means being creative. So be creative with the big picture of your life. And play it smart.

Explore Art and where people use it in the world. It's a very broad category.

Good luck whichever way you go. Life's a journey. Use your time well.

Oh, and as an afterthought: One of the main advantages of being employed as opposed to freelancing -- if you're on a team you get paid to learn. There are people there from whom you can draw knowledge of how to do things. Afterward, you can take that to the world with you as an independent. But starting out cold with nobody to show you how to do anything, you've essentially cut yourself off at the knees. You need a mentor. You need a business environment. It's just a better way to start.

YOUTH IS GOLDEN! Spend it wisely. Right now as a young person, you will never be more appealing to people hiring you off the street, with no experience (as opposed to changing careers later). Reason being, you will be less of a threat to them, you will give them bragging rights for having discovered you and made you, plus they will see you as someone eager to work cheap and do whatever is asked without coming back at them saying, "Wouldn't it be better if we (x, y and z)". If you get hired by the right persons, you will probably be exploited, but it's part of the deal coming in. The new guys are always given the lesser stuff. But as they expand your experience, they will also bring you along -- the term is hitching your wagon to a rising star (or something like that - meaning as they go up, you get brought up with them because you're a known commodity and hopefully trustworthy.)

I cannot overemphasize this. There is no substitute for starting young and doing things right in someone else's service. That window closes up. But if you laid the groundwork properly, there's no stopping you from having opportunities along the way. Screw it up, or deviate where your history is peculiar, the opportunities will begin get harder to come by. And at some point down the road with a good track record, the juicier positions start appearing. Sometimes it happens fast. Anyway, if your path is in the business of Art, that's great. But that's how to do it in most situations.
    Last edited by D Akey; 10-24-2015 at 03:23 AM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

I am going to state the obvious here. Why don't you just change your major. Having a computer degree won't mean there will be work for you. Conversely, neither will art. HOWEVER, if you really have all those pictures screaming to erupt from your imagination, then learn your tools. Take courses and learn the craft. Along the way you will find that there will be many opportunities for you to make money. I directed a play many many years ago (My degree is in theatre) and I needed a poster but I wanted it to look really good. I hired an artist who charged me 500 dollars. It drew an audience for my show and I made my money back--on a more humorous side, we had a problems with college kids stealing the posters for their dorm rooms it would seem. My point is, instead of dropping out, learn the tools and learn about all your industry possibilities. Don't start looking for a paycheck until you have the tools on your belt to make that happen. Good luck!