ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Question about Dodge and Burning

Question about Dodge and Burning

Greets everyone

Had a few questions about dodge and burning.

1. Can you only dodge or burn an entire layer only?

2. Can you dodge and burn an area using the selection tool?

I was just curious.

Thanks

Mike
    Mbrienza

In artrage the layer blends (colour dodge/colour burn etc) only apply to a layer as a whole rather than to a selection. You can however fudge the effect within a selection by tweaking the brightness levels in the 'Edit>Adjust Layer Colours'

Dodging and Burning come from photography. They were techniques used in exposure on a print to lighten or darken areas. If tweaking the brightness isn't quite what you're after you may have to look at using a photographic manipulation software like photoshop, paint shop pro etc where there are dedicated dodge and burn tools in order to get fine control over dodging and burning.
    Last edited by Juz; 01-15-2010 at 08:49 PM.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Say you want to dodge or burn hair or skin tones.
    1. click in the area you want to dodge or burn to select a base hue
    click on that selected color in the color's preview area of the color picker to bring up the pop up menu
    from the pop up menu select tint and tone picker
    now grab the airbrush tool and set it at 30% opacity and 10% pressure (play with desired results)
    choose a brush size that best reflects a size that works well within the area you want to dodge or burn
    to burn- select a darker tint of your selected hue from the tint and tone picker.
    to dodge- select a lighter tint of your selected hue from the tint and tone picker.
    voila > dodge and burn.
    I think it works better than dodge and burn tools because it maintains the color and avoids the desaturated effect (too white or too black) of dodge and burn tools.
    Try it.
    you might be amazed.
    And sure you could select an area with the selection tool and feather it to do this dodge and burn effect within a certain area.
    Last edited by screenpainter; 01-16-2010 at 01:19 AM.

Note that the new airbrush in ArtRage Studio Pro has blend modes as you apply it.
    If you also turn the opacity of the airbrush down you can do some very subtle lighting effects with the airbrush, without needing to use layer blend modes.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRage View Post
    Note that the new airbrush in ArtRage Studio Pro has blend modes as you apply it.
    If you also turn the opacity of the airbrush down you can do some very subtle lighting effects with the airbrush, without needing to use layer blend modes.
    I totally forgot that about the airbrush blend modes. Thanks Andy.
    So there are two ways to do it then. Awesome.

If using the airbrush to colour dodge you will need to make sure that there are no transparent areas within your selection as it will paint the colour as normal mode where there is transparency. Basically you need pixels to dodge or to burn

@Andy... any plans to introduce blend modes on other paint tools in a future AR incarnation ?
    Last edited by Juz; 01-17-2010 at 06:58 AM.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

We can only use blend modes on the tools that use a 'digital' type application. For example the gloop tool, ink pen, fill tool, and air brush all apply plain flat colour with no mixing of paint already on the canvas. Because of this we can apply a blend mode as the stroke is applied. Other tools need to interact directly with paint that is already on the canvas, so we cant do a digital blend mode as they're applied - the paint could interact with itself and give very undesirable results.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"