ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Tablet issues

Tablet issues

Hiya! I feel kind of guilty for spouting off complaints after being a forum member for all of a day, but I figure that the software won't be able to improve without input like this, so here goes!

Note:
    Sorry if these problems have already been discussed at length in previous topics. I looked over the first few pages of threads in this forum and didn't really see anything that looked like the problems that I'm experiencing (though it's entirely likely I just accidentally looked over something) .

My tablet has settings that allow you to change how the pen tip feels. However, the softer you set it, the less size variation I get with pen pressure in ArtRage. Setting it as soft as possible completely obliterates pen pressure altogether.

There are separate options for the pen end and the eraser end, and both are affected by this.

2. Occasionally, tools will stop drawing lines and only make a single dot at the place where you started a stroke. If I try to draw another line, I just get another dot. The problem doesn't go away unless I selected different tool and then go back to the one I have.

In a variation of problem no. 2, there are times when only the eraser end of my pen makes dots instead of strokes. Interestingly, when I have problem 2 both the pen and eraser are affected, but when I have no. 3 the pen is perfectly fine. To fix this particular issue, I need to select the eraser tool.

4. When I press a certain button on my keyboard (Expose' as I think it's called) the screen displays all of the applications that I currently have open and I can jump between them. When I press this button while making a stroke with a pen and return to the program with the eraser end, the eraser acts like the pen tool. Likewise, if press it while using the eraser end and return using the pen tip, the pen acts like an eraser. The problem fixes itself when I raise my pen out of range of the tablet.

Now, obviously there aren't going to be many people besides me who press the Expose' button while making a stroke, but I felt it'd still be worth mentioning.

My technical info:

• Browser AR was downloaded with: Firefox
    • Computer: OS X 10.5.7
    • AR version: 3.0.5 - Studio Pro
    • (I used the demo version for about 5 days before purchasing the actual software.)
    • Tablet: Wacom Bamboo Fun, driver version 5.2.1-3 (assuming it updated correctly) . The most recent driver as of this posting.
    • Toothpaste of choice (because it's completely relevant) : Crest Pro-Health

Thanks for letting us know about these, we're always happy for people to provide feedback and let us know about things they are having a problem with.

The softness setting you mention is expected behaviour, that setting in the control panel just controls how hard you have to press to get high pressure results. The 'softer' the tip feel in your tablet settings, the less pressure needs to be applied to get the high pressure results and thus the range of pressures you can achieve is reduced. That setting doesn't relate to brush softness in ArtRage, just how the tablet maps your stylus to its own pressure values.

Problems 2 or 3 may be fixed by the update we're working on at the moment, we've not been able to produce those results here but we have made some changes that could correct it.

Expose is probably preventing ArtRage receiving the 'mouse up' event if you leave during a stroke. You will probably find if you return to the product that just tapping once on the canvas will correct the problem, or perhaps even tapping a button.

Hope that helps!
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

This issue is specifically to do with the Windows 7 settings in EDIT/ARTRAGE SETTINGS.

You've probably got MULTITOUCH set to 'ON'. Turn it 'OFF', and your problem is history.
    ROY BLUMENTHAL

Visual Facilitator: http://royblumenthal.com/portfolio

ArtRage 3.5.5 and 4.0.4 on:
    Fujitsu T901, Asus R1E

Quote Originally Posted by MattRage View Post
    Thanks for letting us know about these, we're always happy for people to provide feedback and let us know about things they are having a problem with.

The softness setting you mention is expected behaviour, that setting in the control panel just controls how hard you have to press to get high pressure results. The 'softer' the tip feel in your tablet settings, the less pressure needs to be applied to get the high pressure results and thus the range of pressures you can achieve is reduced. That setting doesn't relate to brush softness in ArtRage, just how the tablet maps your stylus to its own pressure values.

Problems 2 or 3 may be fixed by the update we're working on at the moment, we've not been able to produce those results here but we have made some changes that could correct it.

Expose is probably preventing ArtRage receiving the 'mouse up' event if you leave during a stroke. You will probably find if you return to the product that just tapping once on the canvas will correct the problem, or perhaps even tapping a button.

Hope that helps!

Hmm, the softness thing makes sense. Honestly, I thought that it was supposed to change way that the pen feels when you move it across the tablet. I know, I'm silly like that.

Anywho, thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by royblumenthal View Post
    This issue is specifically to do with the Windows 7 settings in EDIT/ARTRAGE SETTINGS.

You've probably got MULTITOUCH set to 'ON'. Turn it 'OFF', and your problem is history.

All of these problems occurred on my Mac. I haven't tried Studio Pro on my Vista yet. Also, I'm certain that Multitouch was turned off.