ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Made of Sand - Finished

Made of Sand - Finished

I'm new to painting, new to Artrage, new to this forum... just new to it all. I have enjoyed many artists work here (especially Briex) and would appreciate some technical pointers and professional critique. Any words of advice are appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MADE OF SAND 2.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	156.1 KB 
ID:	39895  

Welcome to the forums! Briex is a genius for sure. I love the wind swept look of this piece. For new to AR, I'm looking forwards to seeing more of your paintings. Watching good artists learn AR is always a fun thing to watch, the images are always fresh and new, and this is no exception.

In terms of technical pointers, I'd have to know what you wanted to get out of the program. If you want sharper line work, or more blending, or to look like a particular artist, that's easier to advise towards. As the painting is, I really enjoy it's fantastic and almost minimal nature. It really gives the sense that you are out in the middle of nowhere, despite the significant level of detail you've created here.

Again, welcome! And excellent post.
    Early to bed early to rise makes a man stupid and blind in the eyes - Orson Scott Card

Response to Gray

I suppose I'm not particularly fond of imitating a particular artist (I'm so green when it comes to who's who in the world of art, I haven't formed many strong attachments to any one style). I've noticed a particular technique that is fascinating to me. In the case of Briex's, 'Autum Light over the Peace Pa' - his use of seemingly blunt, medium-sized strokes to create such a completely detailed image - is just astounding to me.

haha, yeah, I can't do that either. =D Neither do I know big names in art. I know web comic artists and the members of this forum. Outside of that I'm as ignorant as the rest.

When it comes to impressionistic art, I'm useless. I'm more of the painstaking noob who spends 15 hours on a painting to realize something basic is off, but the shading and lighting is okay. (or I spend 15 minutes and make a horrendous comicy thing. Those are very fun, but they never look nice.) Most of my work winds up dead at various stages of completion in the WIP section. =D I can help with more classical thoughts, but as far as impressionism goes I'm useless. Best of luck though!

orianelima is another very good impressionist in the forums, though his work takes a bit longer to come to appreciate. Take a while to really look at each of his images, and they will start to amaze you. I can't figure out how he takes seemingly random colors and subtly blends the whole thing into one giant image. Sometimes you have to back away from the picture to understand it, but it's all there.
    Early to bed early to rise makes a man stupid and blind in the eyes - Orson Scott Card

Welcome Brandogrey and what a good start. Great work
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

I could have sworn I commented on this yesterday What a great concept and painting this is. It shows how temporary our existence is. How fragile our societies can be. Great work on this. More! More!
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    Eckhart Tolle

Looks great work!
    - Saddy -
    "First, weapon selection is critical": Wacom Bamboo Pen
    AR3 - The Complete Force!
    On Deviantart
    On twitter!

Quote Originally Posted by L Skylar Brown View Post
    Sweet Girl - I love your imagination. When your visuals catch up, you will be a true Force!

Ah... I posted on the unfinished one... Now I get it! This is fantastic even more so with all the detail in it! Nicely done!
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    Eckhart Tolle

Response to Gray's last post...

I love 'Hide and Seek', as well as 'Interior of a restaurant' by Orianelima. Briex has an "interior of a restaurant" as well that I really love (perhaps I enjoy these because I'm in the restaurant business). Orianelima is as skillful s Briex, I believe, and I study them both for inspiration and instruction.

This is just wonderful for you being so new to ArtRage and to painting! I like your perception of this sandy image and especially that swirl of sand on the side. Welcome to AR and this forum!!!