ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: advice needed (Nude with Glass Cup)

Question advice needed (Nude with Glass Cup)

OK, this is not done in Art Rage, it's a photo of an acrylic I'm working on (sorry if that's off limits). But I am not sure where to go next with it. I am thinking of working on it in Art Rage a bit and maybe figure this out.

I think maybe the breast on the right reads as negative space somehow instead of positive. I think I don't like the transition from light to shadow on the forearm on the right side of the canvas.

Any thoughts on fixing these things or anything else?

I do intend to leave the paint rough and not blend the colors together any more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nude with glass mug.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	202.0 KB 
ID:	39842  

Nicely done Noisician. I really like how the transparent glass looks. The following are just my thoughts on things. Please feel free to take them or leave them with no worries.

The right side arm (which would be her left) seems to be drawing a lot of attention, which may have to do with the warm yellow colors used in that area of the painting. This may also be the reason you feel the breast on the right is reading as negative space, since the warmer colors of the arm near it would give it the appearance of being further back and perhaps flatter. Going over the arm with some cooler colors, like those in the rest of the image, might help in keeping the viewers eye from straying so much to that area, while adding just a bit more yellow to the right breast may bring it more into perspective.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

There may be some conflict between the two distinct areas of colour. Above the glass, well seen might I add, is warmer in tone than the area below which tends to present the whole as two separate entities. Like the 'attack' method of execution.

My modest view

Hi,

May I humbly offer that you might try using color to focus the eye on the glass a bit more. I tried to do this with some exaggeration to make the difference between the before (top) and after apparent. A warmer orange cast is given to the hands and area around the glass and then the glass has been pushed toward blue to allow the blue/orange opposites to reinforce the focal point created by the composition. I also did a faint mauve tint over the other body areas to unify them a bit and push them towards the back.

Hope this sparks some ideas. Thanks for sharing your question and allowing me to try my hand at the challenge.

Al
    Attached Images Attached Images  

wow, thanks everyone for the advice. it's always surprising how obvious things seem after somebody else points them out, but which had gone completely unnoticed by me. i also really like the idea of exaggerating the colors to make the glass colder and flesh warmer.

thanks!

Hi. Your observation that sometimes things tend to go unnoticed when having been absorbed with a piece of work for a long time. Tutor once told me to place the work near one's bed so that it is the first thing you see when wakening. You then see it fresh. I might add I have never tried it!!!!!