ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR3 goes on "blobbing" and hanging

AR3 goes on "blobbing" and hanging

I mentioned my problems with Studio Pro in other threads but went unnoticed. So i hope it'll be addressed this time. Until then AR3 will stay closed in my HD. I tried to use it several times for my job unsuccessfully. I have tight dead lines and can't risk to waste time correcting weird behavior time and again.

Problem A: AR3 hangs out unexpectedly when attempting to modify any settings controls (which I do often at work). Most noticeable when I fail to point inside a slider but press close to it (say, under the semi-circle of the slider). Otherwise look at this previous (still optimistic) thread:

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...041#post254041

Problem B: Strokes make blobs randomly at the end of strokes. As I do frequent cross-hatching, this means to make a lot of "undo" to keep working. To be precise it's no exactly blobs but some kind of overflowing of the basic shape for each brush, as you can see in the selection picture. Please notice how randomly this glitch shows up at the hand writing with ink.

MacMini, Core2Duo, 1,83 MH, 2MB Ram. OSX 10.4.11
    Wacom Intuos3, size A4, driver 6.1.2-5
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Nulla die sine linea
    http://bobrow.wordpress.com

Hi Bob, did you try the latest 3.0.5?

It should address the blob issue. At least, it did with me. With previous release I had a random blob ad stroke start. Now it works perfectly.

I'm working with Win XP SP3, Intuos 3 A5 latest drivers.

Bye! Umberto
    Umberto

No Blobs

Yes I am using 3.0.5 and have had no blobbing at all. I just had a little play doing stokes in the same direction as you and didn't get any blobs. I'm using windows 7

Uuderzo: Yes, I have the patch installed. I added to your post before, but my problem seems to be different from yours. I had the Demo at that time; I then bought and installed the Studio Pro 3.05 version and got the same problems.

Debsym62: The blobs appear drawing to any direction, always at the end. It seems to be a Mac issue.

MattRage: This was your answer to me at the Uuderzo post:

"3. Bob Row: Artifacts at the end of the stroke.

Can you let me know which tools display this problem, and post a screenshot of your tool settings and one of the problem strokes?

Could you also check that you have no custom profiles in your Wacom drivers? We have had some Mac users report that bad profiles caused problems in the application."

I cleaned all ArtRage3 profiles from the Wacom driver (not found any at the libray) plus I cleaned all Ambient Design Preference list (plist & prs) from the library.
    The blog feature seems less noticeable but it is still there. The hanging instability goes the same as well.

I hope I'll be able to enjoy my StudioPro app someday instead of suffering it as today.
    Nulla die sine linea

Regarding problem A, I believe this relates to another problem that should be solved in 3.0.6. When the application hangs please click the text under the dial again, that should free it up. Also make sure you are only single clicking rather than double clicking, double clicks via a stylus appear to be causing some problems with some controls.

Regarding problem B, please confirm the version of ArtRage you are using, 3.0.5 may have solved the problem.

Edit: Posted just as you did by the looks of it. Okay, if the problem is still there with 3.0.5 please paint some strokes with the mouse and tell me if you get the same 'blobbing' result.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Behavior improved a bit

Matt: I painted for a while with the Wacom mouse (never tried before). Strokes never did blobs and so didn't hanging when tweaking settings; except when clicking on the size image at the tools picker.

Then I reverted to paint with the stylus. Blobs still occurred but much less frequently. Tweaking settings didn't bring to hang ups; except, again, when clicking the size image at the tool picker. But not when changing the size with a fast slide. Does this make sense to you?

At least it looks as an improvement. Next, I'll try again at real work with my preferences enabled again and tell you what happen after that.

Thanks for your help in the meantime.
    Nulla die sine linea

AR3 failed again

Well, I set my preferences again (basically to set the panels at 70%) and tried to work to no avail. Sketching with pencil became annoyingly heavy, eraser stopped until selected in tool picker and inking made blobs more and more as I advanced. So I saved the drawing to .psd and opened it at Painter.

Document was 1150px by 1700px at 300dpi
    Nulla die sine linea

The problem with the tool stopping until the button is clicked should be solved in the next update release. The 'hang' you are getting can most likely be solved by pressing escape after you hear the 'flick' sound to indicate that the panel has been shown, I believe that the panel is appearing off screen in this case. If that doesn't work, please let me know if clicking the control you clicked to bring the panel up works, as noted before.

From your last post it sounds as if the behaviour of the tools changed when you changed you preferences. If this is the case please let me know exactly what preferences you changed, I can't really help until I know what you are doing between it working and not working.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Quick update - I'm testing a few fixes with some users and I believe we have solved the problem where the brush size panel doesn't appear on click. It generally relates to second screen positioning but there are a couple of other potential causes. The fix will be available in 3.0.6.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Now, I'm embarrassed

Matt,
    In the first place I must thank you for addressing my problems.

In second, I must confess I feel embarrassed for never try before to press the escape key. It solves the hanging at once.

Third, I feel embarrassed because I hardly can reproduce the hanging. I cleared the prs file, opened AR and set the preferences again (as I said, the panels at 75% and choose the graphic pointer). Opened a document at 300dpi and played almost without inconveniences... except for the "blobs" at the end of strokes, mainly when inking.

So, this is the situation today. I'll tell you any news.
    Nulla die sine linea