ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: 3D Bump Lighting Issue: Question and Request

3D Bump Lighting Issue: Question and Request

The combination of AR's 3D lighting, glitter's bump texture qualities, and the blur blender applied to glitter (also tube paint) allows for forming remarkable 3D like forms on which additional paint can be applied to make beautiful objects, albiet in a limited range.

One problem is that the flow of light renders the trailing curve at the bottom of all forms in 100% shadow. I have found no way to reduce the shadow density. The application of additional paint to the forms produces 100% black shadow for any paint flowing into the black shadow area.(See image below that shows the starting point with glitter and an end point after transforming with the blur blender and the application of ink pen paint to the produced form.)

Consequently it forces the creation of paintings that accommodate that lighting on the forms. I would like to produce paintings with less stark lighting effects, were the darkest shadow on that bottom cuvve might only be, say, 50% to 80%. Is there a way I can do that in AR now with these created forms. And if there is not, is it something that can be put on the list as a tweaked feature for a not too distant release?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forms from blur blender-ARUP.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	325.8 KB 
ID:	39685  
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

The light source exists at the top left, so anything that is on the opposite side of tall bump will tend to have a dark shadow due to no light hitting it. With the current lighting system, in order to have less stark lighting effects you would need to have less bump.

I like the one on the right especially, neat effect!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Dave, the painting on the right resulted from using the stage on the left and applying the palette knife on the blur setting to create the 3D looking form on the right. After creating the form, you can paint into it. The problem is that dark shadow at the bottom. It would be great if in a future release the user could change the light orientation to have greater control of the shadow effects when creating this kind of effect. Any chance something like that could become possible?

And thanks re: the little painting.
    //

At this point I'm unsure on that one, the system is optimised for the current lighting model. However, it may be possible at some point.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRage View Post
    At this point I'm unsure on that one, the system is optimised for the current lighting model. However, it may be possible at some point.
    Thanks Dave. While I realize this is nowhere near the top of the list, at a time that is feasible, the ability to change the lighting model at will would expand on the variables an artist can consider to take advantage of the power of ARs lighting characteristics. Right now it's one of the defining characteristics that sets AR apart from, in my opinion, all the also-rans offered by your competitors. Enhancing the feature to offer different lighting characteristics would be a logical next step if it's feasible. It has immediate applications for painting designs I'm interested in creating as just one user's example. Maybe it can go on the "someday" list.
    Last edited by byroncallas; 01-13-2010 at 09:33 PM.
    //