ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Abigail and friend

Abigail and friend

The other day I was experimenting with all of the tools in ArtRage (the only ones I've actually used are oils, knife, eraser and an overworked undo button) As I was dabbing and dobbing about the canvas I thought I could see a hippopotamus among the scribbles and blobs. That reminded me of the flatulent stuffed hippo that Abby has on the TV series NCIS, and a new project came about. The original sketch was with pencil and paper and scanned into a layer. Somehow, she's "bulked up" in this version - must have had the scanner on the "steroid" setting.

All chalk, with a couple of photo refs to get some resemblance in the face. I think I came close with the pigtails
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	abigail.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	142.7 KB 
ID:	39657  
    Last edited by 337_lee; 01-11-2010 at 02:09 PM.
    I don't have digital... I don't have diddly squat
    It's not having what you want... it's wanting what you've got

Wow Lee, awesome cartoon figure painting. Great job!
    Browse my gift store.
    http://www.zazzle.com/evart_production

Would you like to learn more about how to
    start your own online store? Click the link below.
    http://www.zazzle.com/sell

This turned out great! The colors and blending are just right for this style. I have a ton of sketches I would like to scan in and do this with. Did you just paint on a layer above the scanned sketch? Curious as to how you did it (in case I ever get around to scanning). Well done!
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    — Eckhart Tolle

Thank you Evart, Alexandra, Sketchism71

about the scanning - here's a quick and dirty breakdown -

I guess it depends on the software for your scanner or what other drawing stuff you have on your computer. I can set my scanner to black and white and adjust the threshold so that it becomes a pure 2 colour black and white line drawing. (adjust till you get rid of smudges, erase marks etc), or else I use the "greyscale" setting and scan that way. I think most have those options.

I imagine you could paint over top of the sketch in another layer like you suggested, but then anything you paint will hide your original sketch (cause the original is on the bottom, right ).

What I do is load the scanned picture into the Gimp, and make it into a transparent picture by selecting Layer--Transparency --Colour to Alpha (just make sure you have white selected as the colour to make transparent) I'm not sure how to do it in other programs, 'cause I actually prefer the Gimp, but I know it can be done.

Save the new picture with the transparent background as a png file, and import it into Artrage as either a new painting or as a layer. Now you can have your sketch on the very top layer, and paint underneath it, while your original sketch is still perfectly visible. When the sketch is annoying or in the way, you just toggle the visibility on or off.

I probably missed a bunch of the details, but if you're having trouble let me know and I'll try to be more specific

Ironically, I did all that with this one, and promptly began painting on the imported layer. So the sketch was lost as I worked. Does the old proverb "do as I say, not as I do" come to mind?
    I don't have digital... I don't have diddly squat
    It's not having what you want... it's wanting what you've got

Great Sketch and good instructions too. Thanks for that
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Awesome Lee! Thank you very much for that. This would be a great post in the Tips ans Tricks section. I don't have Gimp but I hear a lot of people talk about it. I will have to check it out. Thanks!
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    — Eckhart Tolle